GO!

Help! I hit my cat, and now she's scared of me.

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Persephone

A model in a- Cats body

Purred: Mon Apr 2, '07 1:50am PST 
Hey! Everythings better now, I coaxed her out from under my bed (go figure lol) and now she's fine. I obviously didn't hit her hard, she was just scared. Plus the dog freaked out and chased her afterwards, but she's locked downstairs with her owners. Thanks for reading, though =) I don't know how to delete posts.

Here's my old post, if you care to read.
------------
I was playing with her and everything was fine then she suddenly swated my face (NOT playfully; angrilly) and it hurt SO BAD, so instinctivly right when she hit me I swung back and (not hard, like a tap) hit her on her tummy (and she usually lets me play with her tummy) and now shes hiding everywhere and scared I'm gonna hit her. I've had her for years and always gave her little taps to show her when she does something bad, and definately not enough to hurt her. I dont know why shes acting like this all of a sudden? Have your cats ever done this :S She'll eat treats out of my hand, and wet food out of my hand and let me pet her but I can still tell shes scared. You dont think it has to do with her past? She's a shelter cat, and they pretty much refused to tell me her past. I'm really concerned about her, its not like her to hide from me like this...

Edited by author Mon Apr 2, '07 1:55am PST

[notify]

Diego

I'm bringing- sexy back

Purred: Mon Apr 2, '07 11:57am PST 
Accidents happen. Mom has stepped on my before when I snuck up underfood and she didn't see me. I went running and hid from her. She felt so bad because it was an accident.

I would really like to advocate against taping your kitty when she is bad. Cats don't respond well to this and is not an affective way to punish your kitty. Here is a great article on why not to hit and other ways to correct bad behavior.

http://www.pets.ca/pettips/tips-54.htm
[notify]

Persephone

A model in a- Cats body

Purred: Mon Apr 2, '07 4:00pm PST 
hello =) thank you so much. i usually dont tap her bum unless she does something REALLY!!!!!! bad, I usually make a loud noise (clap, hit the table, etc) and she understands not to do it anymore =p
[notify]

Emmett McGee- 4/15/94- 9/3/08

Outta My Way.

Purred: Mon Apr 2, '07 4:35pm PST 
It is so easy to instinctively swat back at an animal, but as Diego says, it's just not an effective way to discipline a pet. It just freaks them out, especially when they're shelter kitties and heaven knows what kind of abuse is in their memory. My meowmy has learned that making REALLY loud noises, like thumping the floor or yelling a loud "HEY!" when I bite or swat is very effective. We, too, have had accidents where I was underfoot and got stepped on and spent several days making my mom feel as guilty as possible. I hope you two can get beyond this and have many many more happy times.
[notify]

Jasmine

Who says I'm not- a dog?!

Purred: Mon Apr 2, '07 4:41pm PST 
From the tone of your post, you probably feel bad enough about accidently hitting her as it is.....so as long as you're careful not to let it happen again....your kitty probably won't hold it against you forever. I'd try to calm those quick reflexes somehow and be extra nice until she comes back around and you feel the love again....
[notify]

Yoshi Mango

Umm, why is this- food bowl- empty?!

Purred: Mon Apr 2, '07 5:17pm PST 
I've done that a few times before. My cats will accidentally claw me and I'll scream OWWW really loud and scare the heck outta them. What I'll do is I'll sit and crawl to them and speak softy and pet them so they know I'm not mad at them. Most of the time it works. Maybe Persephone needs more time and convincing because she was a shelter cat. She is beautiful btw. I love that last picture of her high in the trees, amazing!
[notify]

Persephone

A model in a- Cats body

Purred: Tue Apr 3, '07 1:47am PST 
hello! smile thanks for the replies! its sooo weird. shes actually acting really nice and treating me as if i'min charge!!! i sort of miss when she used to beat me up lol :p she seems..different. still cute as ever! she still hides, but im treating her like royalty and she seems to appreciate it =) thanks again! hug
[notify]

KARMA KITTY

GOOD KARMA

Purred: Tue Apr 3, '07 8:14am PST 
Not saying is was not an accident...but a cat can turn against a human for getting hit. They don`t understand what it`s all about.
Karma scratches me in play all the time...I just go get the band-aids.
If the scratches bother you...perhaps you need to trim your kitties claws once in a while.
[notify]

Dr. Morris- Excalibur- Jonathan

Fast & Furry

Purred: Tue Apr 3, '07 8:42am PST 
It's a human instinct to fight back.Actually,I've devolped a "natural" way of disciplining my cats.I make a hissing noise and tap them on the head,which I've seen them do to eachother before.It sends them running up-stairs,but it never scares them enough for them to hide.At first,they were surprised I used their behavior as a discipline.Now,they see me coming and their tails go up in the air immediately and they are very respectful of me.And they are not scared at all.

Just leave your cat be.She probably really won't want attention for a little while,but I find that the way to a scared cats heart is lunch meat turkey.
[notify]

Hazel Lucy

tiny gumdrop

Purred: Tue Apr 3, '07 9:25am PST 
My suggestion, cuddle with her and speak in low soft tones and stroke her gently. It's a matter of trust. She will come around.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2