GO!

Need Help with Elevated Feral Cat House

This is a special section for cats needing new homes and for inspiring stories of cats that have found their furever home through Catster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of cat! If you are posting about a cat that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Catster's cat adoption center!

Purred: Sun Oct 13, '13 10:11pm PST 
Dear Cat Lovers,

I'm purchasing a home and moving in within a month. The seller is a sweet, elderly lady who is failing in health and must move. She has kindly provided food, water, & ground-level shelter (Styrofoam/straw-insulated plastic tubs) to 2 feral cats (fixed) for some time. I want to honor her legacy of compassion and regard for these cats, and continue their care.

My dilemma is that I have a 120 lb. Giant Schnoodle who requires doggy-door access to the backyard (w/o exception) where the cats reside. Luckily, "Rocky" has been trained to like cats since puppyhood. However, I surely doubt the ferals will instinctively reciprocate his affection, and I'm concerned that they might leave and inadvertently compromise their health, welfare, and safety.

How can I purchase or make a 2-bedroom w/ separate entrances cat tower with steps that climb at least 70" (above my dogs standing height) w/ food and water bowls that the cats will enjoy, and can conveniently and comfortably climb?

Thanks so much!!!

Jack
[notify]