GO!

Kitty Confusion!

This is a special section for cats needing new homes and for inspiring stories of cats that have found their furever home through Catster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of cat! If you are posting about a cat that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Catster's cat adoption center!

Purred: Sun Jul 14, '13 7:28pm PST 
Hey everyone,
I recently found a little Manx male, about 4 months old, in a shelter and decided I had to have him. I wanted to be absolutely 100% sure I was committing to the right cat (since it is a lengthy commitment) so I checked a couple of other shelters. I found another DSH male kitty also about 4 months old at another shelter that I really like. I could never convince myself to say no to Oscar (the Manx) but now I'm wondering if I can save this other kitty also. He has been at the shelter for over a month and his time is almost up cry
Can 2 rescue cats from different litters that are both male get along in the same home? I can't stand the idea of the DSH kitty being put down just because no one would give him a chance. I really want to adopt him also but I'm worried that he and Oscar may not be able to live together happily. I know people have problems sometimes with 2 male dogs in the same home and I'm not sure if that applies to cats also. Anyone have any advice?
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Mon Jul 15, '13 5:27am PST 
By all means, you can put two males together. In all my fostering I've found that males are generally easier to introduce to a household. And in fact, I highly recommend adopting kittens in pairs, whether they're related or not. Kittens have SO much energy that it's very helpful to have playmates. Otherwise it can be very difficult on mom and the whole house!
[notify]

Purred: Tue Jul 16, '13 8:00am PST 
Thanks BK!
I saved the little DSH kitty. He is getting neutered today and I bring him home at 4 smile
[notify]

Purred: Tue Jul 16, '13 11:21am PST 
Opps! Double post. Not sure why it always posts twice from my phone...

Edited by author Tue Jul 16, '13 11:23am PST

[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Tue Jul 16, '13 3:44pm PST 
Yay - welcome to the new little one! We expect pictures ASAP of both!
[notify]

Beep

Butt-kicker of- all other cats

Purred: Wed Jul 17, '13 3:56pm PST 
Can't ait to hear more about him! Keep them separated for at least a week, it's important for new kitty to feel safe in his new home before setting about to introductions. Can't wait to see pictures!
[notify]

TGM Gimli DB- #101a

Play Hard, Sleep- Hard!

Purred: Wed Jul 17, '13 9:00pm PST 
Yay! Glad to hear you rescued the Manx and another kitty too!

Yes, male cats can get along well! Gimli (8 years) gets along with Django (only about 2 years), a adult male cat I brought in (he had a punctured eye from a cat fight) after my young male cat, Kenji, passed away due to heart disease on April 9. Before I got Kenji, I had Nigel, a 16-year-old Siamese tabby male. Gimli and Nigel got along great and groomed each other a lot. Kenji and Gimli got along great too.