GO!

A broken arm and blue eyes

This is a special section for cats needing new homes and for inspiring stories of cats that have found their furever home through Catster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of cat! If you are posting about a cat that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Catster's cat adoption center!

Jonah

Purred: Fri Jun 14, '13 3:09pm PST 
Oh dear. Well, we have another kitten.

On my way to work I hear a knock at the door and I see that my cousin has stopped by. She has a beaten up looking kitten in her arms. Her neighbor had found the kitten--In his dog's jaws. He had to pry her away from the big barking bully and gave the kitten to her. She doesn't like cats so she ran up to see me...

Well, sigh, she's gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous. You can look at her cat page for more pictures.

But she's hurt, poor thing. She wasn't walking well, obviously limping on her front left leg. She has a big laceration up the arm as well as puncture wounds down her shoulder and back. Not to mention she was nearly dripping with fleas. So since I was on my way to work anyway I brought her with me. We did x-rays and found the nastiest break, perfectly snapped in half on the humerus, but right in a tricky spot. The vet at our office couldn't set and splint the bone, so he gave me the option of euthanasia or amputation. Yikes, tripod kitty. Spoke with family who was willing to fund such a procedure, but decided to get a second opinion.

We found another local vet who told us he believes he can surgically fix the break, pin it and all that, and for the same cost the other vet offered to fully amputate the leg.

So, monday morning she goes in to get her leg all fixed up. I couldn't be happier.

Now we just have to think of a name for this blue eyed beauty!!
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Fri Jun 14, '13 3:20pm PST 
You are an angel for taking this baby in! She's beautiful!
[notify]

TGM Gimli DB- #101a

Play Hard, Sleep- Hard!

Purred: Fri Jun 14, '13 8:48pm PST 
Awww, what a beautiful kitty! Thanks for taking her in! wave

We wish y'all all the best!

Jonah

Purred: Sun Jun 16, '13 8:53am PST 
Well, whoops! red face The itty bitty kitty definitely looks male on second glance!

Because of his story of being nearly eaten and later spit up, we decided to name him Jonah. I think it's cute. laugh out loud

Tomorrow is the big day. I'm terrified of letting him go under anesthesia, but I know this doctor has done it for years and years. Is there anything I can do from home besides ensuring that she has an empty stomach to help her get through this? I've never dealt with such a young kitten going under like this.
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Mon Jun 17, '13 3:21pm PST 
Love that name!
[notify]

Jonah

Purred: Mon Jun 17, '13 3:56pm PST 
He made it!!!! cheer

He's miserable understandably, but he's okay. His leg has been pinned--we return in 3 weeks to get it removed. Starting Wednesday we are doing hydrotherapy and daily bandage changing to prevent infection on that arm.

He's a sweet sweet boy and I'm so relieved he made it through. The doctor said his bloodwork looked great, he was only slightly anemic which is common in kittens, especially considering his history.
[notify]