GO!

Reepicheep needs a home --KY

This is a special section for cats needing new homes and for inspiring stories of cats that have found their furever home through Catster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of cat! If you are posting about a cat that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Catster's cat adoption center!

Reepicheep

Purred: Sat Aug 27, '11 8:42pm PST 
I am a dogster-140-pounds of dog. Can't have cat. Found this little kitty under my shed. Spent weeks getting he/she to come be pet. Break through evident in pics. He/she is ready. Someone PLEASE come save kitty -Meade, Hardin, Jefferson or Bullitt counties.
[notify]

Reepicheep

Purred: Wed Aug 31, '11 7:16pm PST 
Okay, no responses at all???? No KY catsters (or dogsters) with advice??? Please, I'm going to hit feral cat status pretty soon. And right about that time it will be winter. I am not one of those cats that needs to be trapped, fixed, released. I am STILL SAVABLE. I'm just a kitten.
[notify]

Ben

I fetch,- therefore I am.

Purred: Wed Aug 31, '11 8:17pm PST 
It's tough to find a home for a kitty through Catster, I think, since most members already have cats and aren't necessarily in a position to take in more. frown

Most rescue groups are bursting at the seams with kittens right now, but you can definitely try some of them if you haven't already.

One suggestion I have is maybe list Reepicheep on PetFinder's classifieds. At least there you know that most of the people who visit the site are looking to adopt.

I wish I could offer more help. We're sending purrs for Reepicheep! hug

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Thu Sep 1, '11 4:01am PST 
Reepicheep, you are very cute! I'm in NY and I too just brought in a very sweet cat that I found in a parking lot. I was amazed to find out that no shelters are taking in any more cats at this time, at least not in my area. I hate to tell you, but we are on our own to either keep these cats or find them homes ourselves. It may not seem fair or right, but there it is. I'm getting the one I found neutered today and he got his vaccines Tuesday.

I wish you success in finding your adorable guy a permenant home!

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

Reepicheep

Purred: Fri Sep 2, '11 3:01pm PST 
I wish I could bring him in. But I have a 14-year old dog that we've had since he was 10 who has never been cat-socialized and one particular close call with a cat he has had makes me nervous. I know its possible to dog/cat socialize, but Bubs doesn't learn easily in these twilight years of his life. I don't know what he was taught for the first decade, but it obviously didn't include loving kitties. For Reepicheep's and Bubbles' sake, I think it is better that I try to find Reep a safe and worry-free home.
[notify]

Reepicheep

Purred: Thu Sep 8, '11 3:16pm PST 
Okay I was WRONG WRONG WRONG. Bubs the 14 year old was fine with Reep when we brought him in for a meet and greet. Raskol, the 7-year old Lab/Pit mix however had a fit. Squealing, whining, shaking, PREY! IN MY HOUSE!!!! Not good.
[notify]

Tigger

Purred: Thu Sep 8, '11 5:04pm PST 
Aww, sorry to hear your 7 year old dog doesn't like that cute kitten! I have a 5 year old golden retriever and she LOVES all our cats! That is a cute and looks like friendly kitten you have there! If I were you I'd try to keep him, there are MANY things you can try to introduce new pets to each other, just do a google search and you will find lots of useful information. If you really end up not keeping him you can also try listing the cute guy on Craigslist, Free Kitten and post a photo and some information about his personality, maybe see if the local vets offices will let you post a photo and some information and all else fails post some Kitten Needs a Home flyers with a picture around your neighborhood smile I sure hope he finds a wonderful home with you or elsewhere smile Don't fret you still have a little while before it gets too cold!
[notify]

Ralphie & Randy

Purred: Fri Sep 9, '11 8:41am PST 
Even if the shelters and rescues in your area aren't taking kittens right now, they still might be able to offer suggestions. In my area, there are a couple of "unofficial" rescues, basically just cat-loving people, who will find homes for cats if you foster the cat until they can find a permanent home. Maybe there is something similar where you live, and a shelter might give you some ideas.

I hate to disagree with awesome Tigger, but I would not recommend that you put a "free kitten" ad anywhere. I believe you should charge at least a nominal amount, even $5 or $10, to discourage the mean people who will do mean things to free kittens. I know you're joking about the kitten being prey for your pup, but there are some twists out there that will use kittens for just such a purpose. A lady at our local rescue told me some awful stories about things she's seen happen to free kittens, and she's the one who told me it's always better to charge a small amount when rehoming to a stranger.

I really hope things work out so that you can keep him. He's a cutie!
[notify]

Bella My- Beautiful- Angel

Mommys Kitty- Girl! I know- I\'m loved!

Purred: Fri Sep 9, '11 11:55am PST 
Hi,

Reeps saving person,
http://hollys.org/

If they are filled, please ask them if they know of anyone and explain your situation!!!!

We are in NY and work in rescue....you need to really really be persistant. We understand where you are because you're trying to help! Don't give up!
We recently took in 10 cats about to be put down here because a person who was ill decided that rather then hold them an extra week (no mean feat finding 10 fosters for 10 cats) she would take them to a kill shelter. They almost were put down, but our Rescue Director spent all day on the phone and at the end of the day we found space. The cats had a very close call.

We're in NY and we do our best to find room for those in despreat situations. Please don't give up on Reep!
[notify]

Tigger

Purred: Fri Sep 9, '11 11:07pm PST 
That is a good point, I am aware many people charge a small "re-homing" fee when trying to adopt out pets to discourage less than stellar individuals from adopt kitties. I personally have no problem paying this fee in fact I paid $5 for Tigger from a farm smile The issue is fairly moot in my neck of the woods though, not a lot of that horrible stuff going on so didn't occur to me in my original post. So maybe post posters with a small fee around your neighborhood smile
[notify]