GO!

Hoping to bring home a rescued kitty today!

This is a special section for cats needing new homes and for inspiring stories of cats that have found their furever home through Catster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of cat! If you are posting about a cat that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Catster's cat adoption center!

Kona

Grouchy cats- need luv too!!

Purred: Sun Jun 5, '11 6:51am PST 
Hi Catsters,

Kona's mom here: I met a very sweet kitty at the county shelter yesterday! She is a 3-4 year old tabby. Her days were numbered at the shelter and she is WAY to sweet to let the unthinkable happen to her. I lost my cat, Jackson, just over a week ago and wasn't sure I was ready to adopt another cat so soon, but a friend who volunteers at the shelter told me about "Shortcake". I somewhat reluctantly went to meet her yesterday but when she held out her little paw and curled her toes around my finger..awwwww! She was turned in as a stray (had also been declawed, bless her heart!). Anyway, since the shelter staff don't know what her previous home situation was, we are not sure how she will adapt to a home with another cat and a dog. I will make the introduction slowly, I already have the guest bathroom set up for her. If anyone has any suggestions on how to make this as stress-free as possible, I'd love to hear. Keep your fingers crossed all will go well. I'm so excited!
[notify]

TGM Gimli DB- #101a

Play Hard, Sleep- Hard!

Purred: Sun Jun 5, '11 9:33am PST 
Concatulations! Good luck with the new kitty! wavedancingcheerway to gohugpartyparty

Edited by author Sun Jun 5, '11 9:33am PST

Emily

Don't pet, play!

Purred: Sun Jun 5, '11 10:17am PST 
Hi. I remember you from the other thread. It sounds like this new kitty was meant to be! We've gone through intros twice in the past year and the short advice is go slow...which you already said you plan on doing. After the under door hissing/growling lessens some, I found it helpful to let the new cat out in a carrier, so they can see each other without full out confrontation. (Some say a screen door or cracked door work well too.) I also found that letting the new cat explore the main living area while the old cat is sleepy or sleeping worked well...the old cat just couldn't muster the energy to be offended. And the new cat saw that there is a cat, but they are just a sleepy lump...no threat for now anyways. Lets see...scent swapping (by rubbing each with a sock or small towel) and sharing meal time or treats (when being in the same room is appropriate) are other helpful things.

I hope things go well for you!
[notify]

Kona

Grouchy cats- need luv too!!

Purred: Sun Jun 5, '11 1:19pm PST 
Thanks for the great advice, Emily's mom! "Shortcake" is home with us now and oh my gosh...what a sweetheart!! I think she will settle in fine here, she's already sniffed the dog under the door and she rubbed her head on the door like she was marking the dog as "hers"! lol!! My resident cat is acting like she could care less...so far no drama! Now I just have to think of an appropriate name for her and I'll add her to Catster! Thanks, again!
[notify]

Jill- Teagarden

Furrever Homes- Rock!!!

Purred: Sun Jun 5, '11 3:12pm PST 
Welcome to "Shortcake" and BLESS you for rescuing this little sweetheart from the shelter. We all think Jackson sent her to you. Glad to hear she is doing so well, cats seem to know when they have adopted a good person.

We can't wait to see her CATSTER page, know her new name and welcome her here.

Purrs,
The New Orleans Kitties
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Sun Jun 5, '11 5:51pm PST 
We think 'Shortcake is a cute name. Anyway, cheer for you saving her!
[notify]

Patch

Patch - wallpaper- stripper

Purred: Mon Jun 6, '11 1:13am PST 
Good for you saving her, the power of the puuuuur chain scores again dancing
[notify]

Luna

Heaven's- Treasure

Purred: Mon Jun 6, '11 12:34pm PST 
So happy you adopted "Shortcake"! Can't wait to see her grow up here on Catster! You are an angel!cheerhappy dance
[notify]

Natasha

Princess Forever

Purred: Tue Jun 7, '11 4:09pm PST 
What a lovely name for a sweetie......I can't wait until we see her picture.....remember to make those introductions slow...even though it seems like it is going well now....keep a watchful eye.....
[notify]

Sophie,- Heaven's- Little- Genius

We are not- amused

Purred: Tue Jun 7, '11 4:47pm PST 
Congratulations to you, Shortcake and the others in your family! cheer way to gohappy dance cloud 9 dancingsmileapplausebig grinapplause
[notify]