GO!

Really need help, Not sure what to do

This is a special section for cats needing new homes and for inspiring stories of cats that have found their furever home through Catster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of cat! If you are posting about a cat that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Catster's cat adoption center!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Blackie

Halloween Kitty

Purred: Tue Mar 1, '11 7:41pm PST 
I just took 12 of my mom's cats to a shelter advertised as non-kill. It had to be done, they have a lot of cats and are losing their house soon. I am sick though because the shelter was not as it had been described to me and I can not stop thinking about the cats I left there.

I guess I am just desperate for ideas of how I can direct people there to hopefully adopt them. The more I think about them being there I want to cry, but I could not keep them all.

I would be so thankful if anyone had any ideas or advice. Thank you!
[notify]

Ben

I fetch,- therefore I am.

Purred: Tue Mar 1, '11 11:10pm PST 
If you or your mom has pictures of them, you could create Catster profiles for them and mark them as "adoptable" with a link to the shelter. You should check with the shelter, though, to get their permission.

If the shelter lists pets on Petfinder, you could also share their Petfinder pages through Catster or even something like Facebook, if you're a member.

Our hearts go out to you, your mom and the kitties in this situation. My family and I are sending purrs for all of you. Please keep us posted.

hug

Edited by author Tue Mar 1, '11 11:10pm PST

Blackie

Halloween Kitty

Purred: Wed Mar 2, '11 7:11am PST 
Thank you so much for the suggestions and support.

People who are not "animal people" just really do not understand why I am upset, since they are "just cats".
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Masters of The- Multiverse

Purred: Wed Mar 2, '11 7:43am PST 
Please don't be sick over this, the majority of shelters out there I'd say 99% of them aren't too desirable. They look awful for a cat to be in that situation. However, you are taking these kitties out of a much worse situation. There's no way your mother, by the sound of her own situation, could take care of that many cats. When that happens they begin to suffer greatly. What I mean is they come down with serious infections like heart worms, UTIs, eye infections, mites, respiratory problems that would go unnoticed in an environment with many cats. These diseases result in slow, painful death (or some just cause other crippling problems.)
So even if it seems that you did a horrible thing, if there is a staff veterinarian or even one that makes routine visits that is a great improvement. What did you see there that made you have second thoughts? Maybe one of us can put your mind at ease.
[notify]

Weeble - Kitten Angel

I may wobble,- but I never fall- down!

Purred: Wed Mar 2, '11 11:14am PST 
Blackie, please come to my page and read my profile. You are right, not everyone understands the love and deep feelings and devotion that our humans can have for us...but my mom does. Please pawmail me if your mom wants to talk. We are here for you.hug
[notify]

Buddy Bolden

Happy Cat

Purred: Wed Mar 2, '11 12:21pm PST 
Blackie: We all understand how you feel. And sometimes we have to do things that upset us, and we wish we could do otherwise. We send purrs and soft paw pats for your mom, her cats and you.

To us they are not "just cats", they ar our furry family members.

The New Orleans Kitties
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Purred: Wed Mar 2, '11 3:32pm PST 
Did it advertise falsely? Was it indeed a kill shelter? frown if so there could be a way of getting to them via media.
[notify]

Blackie

Halloween Kitty

Purred: Wed Mar 2, '11 5:58pm PST 
It's hard to say really if they falsely advertised. They came up on a list of non-kill shelters and I posted on a local yahoo group asking for non-kill shelters in the area and several people mentioned it.

After I dropped them off, I then found out that when asked they will say that it really is not non-kill but they only euthanize if they are too sick or can not be adopted. I am now worrying though what they consider to be unadoptable. It's hard to explain, but it just was not what I was expecting.
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Purred: Thu Mar 3, '11 11:12am PST 
That's usually when the cat is so aggressive, nobody can approach it. Or maybe only a few people can approach it. They just know by a number of behaviors that the kitty will never be adopted or if it by chance is, will cause someone harm-- like a child. But im pretty sure that a cat has to be pretty far gone on behavior. If you can think about all of your mother's cats, were any of them this aggressive? or aggressive at all? Were any of them sick as far as you knew? Broken tails? Limbs?
[notify]

Blackie

Halloween Kitty

Purred: Thu Mar 3, '11 12:03pm PST 
As far as I know none of them were really aggressive, I'm just not sure how they are reacting to their new environment. A few were a little sick, but mostly just runny noses. My little Sandy though is likely deaf, so I don't know if they would consider that to be an unadoptable physical trait.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2