GO!

My workplace wants me to get rid of my cats...

This is a special section for cats needing new homes and for inspiring stories of cats that have found their furever home through Catster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of cat! If you are posting about a cat that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Catster's cat adoption center!

Topic closed to new posts.
(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  
Lowell

Regional Winner!

Purred: Mon Jan 31, '11 5:17pm PST 
What should I do? My workplace wants me to get rid of my cats. No, it's none of their business. My cats do not interfere with my job, aside from cat hair on my clothes and the occasional odor of cat. I got grilled for an hour about how many cats I have (I have within the legal limits), my sanitary arrangements, etc. Like a moron, I told them. Next time I'll lie and say I only have one cat. They can't fire me over this, just bug me. What to do?
[notify]

AnnaBelle

Supervisor cat - is not amused.

Purred: Mon Jan 31, '11 5:27pm PST 
Next time tell them its none of their buisness...and maybe keep some extra sticky lint roller things in your car or desk so you can give yourself an extra brush off from the cat hair before work.
Unless the cat hair is *really* interfering with the job...they really should not be able to do anything. If they fire you over it, depending on where you live, you should be able to take legal action.
[notify]

kaya skye

not fighting my- demons-we joined- forces

Purred: Mon Jan 31, '11 5:51pm PST 
Okaaay...I just happen to know that you are a professor in Japan, so this really loses me...more details? Something really sounds hinky, here...do they know that you are a registered cattery? Would that help, or do they see that as you "moonlighting"?thinking
[notify]

Natalie the- Natcat,- Forever

Show some- respect,- youngster!

Purred: Mon Jan 31, '11 6:31pm PST 
I would, being the smart mouth I am, and very hot about anyone who says anything about my fur children....oh, this isn't from my Cats! It's from the previous co workes I keep captive in the garage and can't decide what to do with cause they were sticking their nose into places it didn't belong.'

Or 'Cats? No, this is from my husband. He keeps losing his hair from everywhere on his body!! He might have something catching-not sure if that lice treatment worked, you know?'

Or 'Its not cats. It's a six foot White Rabbit named Harvey.

What should you do? Well, in the words of my mom in law who was from Alabama 'Tell 'em to go to hell in a way that makes 'em look forward to the trip!"

Some people have waaaaaay too much time on their hands. They need to concern themselves with others business. I would sooner get rid of them than my cats.

Remember, a good friend stands by you when people dis you and defends you. A great friend helps you hide the bodies! big grin

But seriously, tell them thanks, but you and the cats are doing fine, and ask them, maybe...but this is me with my nasty smart mouth why they don't get rid of their kids, after all, they use up alot of natural resources, smell, and make waaay too much noise.

Natalies Mom!
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Tue Feb 1, '11 5:58am PST 
I agree with you all that it's no one's business, but if they're asking because you *smell* like cats when you come to work, does anyone think there might be a problem? If the smell in your house is so bad that it's soaked into your clothes, I think there may be an issue here.

Edited by moderator Wed Feb 9, '11 1:07pm PST

Edited by forums moderator

kaya skye

not fighting my- demons-we joined- forces

Purred: Tue Feb 1, '11 1:53pm PST 
*raises paw* know the answer to this one, and it's funny but not...the OP is a friend, so i just happen to know that a couple of the kitties have "expressed" themselves on her clothing when she was running late and left her clothes lying out on her bed. when this happens to one's leggings and one is in a hurry one does not necessarily notice until one is being assiduously avoided on the subway...she thought the leggings were dampish because she was damp when she put them on, etc...only seemed to happen when she was in an ungodly rush. i wouldn't answer for her, but it's like, 4 am in tokyo, and i wanted to set that straight.
Basically, these things can happen with cats...especially with a cattery with kittens underfoot.
[notify]

Sky

Little Prissy- Timid Booty Girl

Purred: Tue Feb 1, '11 4:11pm PST 
I think I would just be extra careful - accidents do happen - and everyone gets in a hurry.

Just a thought.

sometimes a light clean smelling body mist sprayed before you leave the house would help. I know when the Big Girl gets greasy because she was not bathing she smells and if I get close to her or hug her before I go to work I get that scent on me.

Lowell

Regional Winner!

Purred: Tue Feb 1, '11 7:44pm PST 
BK--"If the smell in your house is so bad that it's soaked into your clothes, I think there may be an issue here. Either too many cats or not taking proper care of them."

As Kaya explained, sometimes my cats do stuff on my clothes. Kittens mistaking shoes for litter boxes. Harvey getting clingy when I have to leave and pooping on my handbag. Things happen. Someone peed on my winter coat (anything on the floor is fair game--you think I'm the only person on Catster with this problem?), and since it was the only one I had, I wore it to work, reasoning that I'd take it off once I got there and there'd be no problem. But the odor had penetrated to my clothes. That's when I got the cat smell complaint.

You cannot necessarily assume that I have too many cats or am not taking proper care of them. Apparently that seems to be your opinion, but too many cats is a subjective thing, and I am taking proper care of them, regarding hygiene, at least. No, I don't feed them raw, but that does not mean I am not taking care of them, at least in my eyes.

Just sayin'.
big grin
[notify]

Pudleigh

Such a house cat

Purred: Tue Feb 1, '11 9:37pm PST 
If it's at all possible, maybe try making one room a cat-free zone, at least when you're getting ready in the morning. If I've got somewhere I need to look decent for, I don't let any kitties in while I'm dressing. For some reason, if there are clothes on the bed, that's the first spot the kittens will lay on.

I agree with the previous posters that it's really no one's business how many cats you have, so long as you're complying with local regulations. I'd just try not to come in wearing 'eau de cat pee' too often; most people really don't care for that particular aroma. wink
[notify]

Jeepers- 1999-2010

Opt to Adopt!

Purred: Tue Feb 1, '11 11:33pm PST 
If you went to work smelling like cat urine you really cannot be surprised that they pulled you aside to talk to you. I cannot think of any job where that would be acceptable. Even when I had multiple personal cats and fosters my clothes were kept in closets on hangers away from cats. I would be very upset if an employee showed up smelling like urine.
If you cannot maintain a cattery and show up to work clean and prepared you may need to consider which is more important to you.

Edited by author Wed Feb 9, '11 1:06pm PST

[notify]

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6