GO!

Please Help: Situational/Financial Crisis has Left My Kitties without a Home

This is a special section for cats needing new homes and for inspiring stories of cats that have found their furever home through Catster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of cat! If you are posting about a cat that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Catster's cat adoption center!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Stitch

Purred: Sun Dec 5, '10 7:58pm PST 
Hello,

I am the owner of two male cats: Stitch (6 - Scottish Fold) and Pushkin (2 - Domestic Shorthair) and have found myself in the first situation that has ever caused me to consider surrendering my pets, which I don't want to do!!

I am currently without a full time job and living with friends who cannot have cats in their home. Both kitties are currently staying with a friend in Tucson, AZ, but she will be unable to care for them for the three weeks that she is leaving for Norway over the holidays.

If anyone is interested in temporarily housing or perhaps adopting these sweet kitties, or know someone who might be able to take one or both in, I would be most relieved and grateful. I can barely take care of my own needs at the moment and I am worried about the fate of my beloved pets.

My family doesn't understand why I don't bring them to the shelter but i can't bring myself to do such a thing.

Please help, if you can.

Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Thank you!
[notify]

BeBe

I'm just a- lover!

Purred: Sun Dec 5, '10 8:24pm PST 
They may not come out of a shelter alive. Even if you get tem into a no kill. I've known of some that "Trade" cats for more adoptable ones.

Anywho! That being said the no kill I volunteer with has kenneled animals for elderly that were in the hospital. I don't know if they charged or not but that's something you may want to look into is boarding.
[notify]

Stitch

Purred: Sun Dec 5, '10 10:24pm PST 
Thanks for the additional information, Bebe. I had read that some no-kill shelters are not truly no-kill, after all...

Do you happen to know of any shelters that will board cats inexpensively in the Los Angeles or Tucson, AZ area?

Thank you!
[notify]

BeBe

I'm just a- lover!

Purred: Mon Dec 6, '10 12:01am PST 
There's the stray cat alliance I'm not sure if they would or not. I'm not from around there, but I know they're a goo group that works with strays/ferals. If they don't they may know of someone that can.
[notify]

Ben

I fetch,- therefore I am.

Purred: Mon Dec 6, '10 9:33pm PST 
Hi Stitch! wave

You might want to check out Catster's Local listings under "Boarding & Kennels" and "Groomers & Spas" for places in the area that can board your kitties while your friend is away.

Here are the listings for Tucson:
Boarding & Kennels
Groomers & Spas

For Los Angeles:
Boarding & Kennels
Groomers & Spas

Of course, you'll want to check any available reviews of each place. If there aren't any posted on Catster, try Yahoo Local, YellowPages, etc.

You can also check with local veterinarians about boarding at their clinics (especially if any of your kitties have health issues).

If your friends are not opposed to the idea of someone coming into her home while she's away, you could also look into pet-sitting services.

Since you're currently not working, is there any chance that your friend in Tucson will let you stay at her place with your kitties while she's gone? You could provide house-sitting service while taking care of your kitties at the same time. Just a thought.

Hope it works out well for you, Stitch! Keep us posted. hug

Ozzie

I'm a 5150 - That's Cop talk- for Crazy

Purred: Mon Dec 6, '10 9:42pm PST 
In the Los Angeles area, Stitch, you might want to check the Glendale Humane Society (they foster out kittens) or the Pasadena Humane Society (a no-kill shelter).

I sincerely hope that things will work out for you and your kitties.
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Tue Dec 7, '10 10:02am PST 
Hi there, I have a lot of members on my website that own cats and adopt and rescue them. I know several people in Arizona and what I'll do is put out an SOS for you okay? This is what you really need to do right? Because I don't want to put it out there and have someone figure out the legistics and then have it fall through. But all of these people are EXTREMELY loving pet parents and would definitely take the best care of your babies. Bless you for trying to find them good homes. I know this has to be so terribly painful for you. But it's also very unselfish and loving of you. Remember that.
[notify]

Stitch

Purred: Tue Dec 7, '10 5:56pm PST 
Hi, Ben ~ I appreciate your response. I am currently working a seasonal position that is PT and still does not pay enough for me to live on my own and pay the bills... Living at my friend's house in Tucson while she is away is a possibility but I don't know when my life will stabilize again and I don't want to be a long term burden on her.

Thank you for your boarding suggestions! I called a number that led to more ideas/possibilities.
[notify]

Stitch

Purred: Tue Dec 7, '10 5:59pm PST 
Thank you for your suggestions, Ozzie and Alex.

Alex - I am trying to think what would be the best for my kitties long term and I don't think it's fair to them to suffer because of my present situation.

if a good, loving home that took the responsibility of having a pet seriously could be found, I would be open to relinquishing them. As I said before, I don't know when my life will stabilize again and it's unfair for me to continue moving them across country; however, a short term solution must also be found, as my friend leaves for Norway on 12/16.
[notify]

Little Boy- Blue PAWS

The Blue Dude

Purred: Wed Dec 8, '10 8:58am PST 
This is Blue's mom.

I have tears over what you're suffering. I'm on the East Coast, but I have a friend in Arizona (not sure where), and I emailed a copy of your post to her. Networking can often help. You are in my prayers.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2