GO!

Why does the vet want to collect urine?

Share advice for keeping your aging cat happy and healthy

Purred: Wed Sep 4, '13 11:05pm PST 
I am taking two elderly rescue cats to the vet tomorrow for what I thought was a senior blood panel. However, I got an email late last night (I guess now it's morning) telling me what time I could come drop them off; in that email she said she was collecting urine. No mention of the blood test. It was too late to email her back a question or to call (I actually fell asleep early in the evening and then woke up at midnight and saw the email then).
They have both experienced rapid weight loss, pee and drink excessively, have diarrhea, vomit and the female has a very grungy look about her. So I suspect a thyroid issue, diabetes and/or kidney issues. This is why I want a senior panel done. I guess the urine can tell if there are kidney issues but what about the other potential problems?
By the time I get an answer back, I will probably have already spoken to the vet but just in case, I figured it doesn't hurt to ask here.
[notify]

Purred: Thu Sep 5, '13 3:59pm PST 
Just posting an update in case anyone ever attempts to answer (as I won't be paying attention to this question anymore). They got both tests done. Now we just have to wait for the results.
[notify]

Kyubey

PLAY!!! Play- play play play- pl...zzzzzzz

Purred: Fri Sep 6, '13 11:27pm PST 
I'm a bit late, but one reason to pull urine for a senior panel is to find out if there is protein in the urine. Protein in the urine is generally seen with poor kidney values and the amount of protein can tell you a bit about the kitty's condition and prognosis.

They can also see if the urine is too concentrated or too dilute, if there is blood in it, white blood cells, etc.
[notify]

Mikko

Psycho kitty

Purred: Sun Sep 15, '13 1:58pm PST 
I think its the same reason they take urine samples for people, to do tests on how the person/cat is doing, in their system. smile
[notify]