GO!

The ups and downs of loving a very old furt.

Share advice for keeping your aging cat happy and healthy

Bella My- Beautiful- Angel

Mommys Kitty- Girl! I know- I\'m loved!

Purred: Wed Aug 1, '12 9:18am PST 
Hi everyone,
This is Bellas mom here.
This morning I am very depressed and sad. I'm so afraid I'm losing my Bella.
I cleaned her little paws today because she had used the box and stepped in it. I noticed when I picked her up how light she feels today...last week it seemed better...she hasn't thrown up or anything...but her poop smells really bad despite the B12...and I am worried. Her coat is terrible. I didn't bathe her today becuase I had work and it's been rainy and damp. She isn't comfortable and I've been giving her cosaquin, to try and help.

I'm so afraid of losing her. I love Bella. She has been through 3 major surgeries with me, and is my heart. She means so much to me, and I want to heal her, make her well, and keep her with me. It hurts when I see her losing so much weight, and her coat not good....I brush her, I wash her little face, she gets pepcid, azodlyl, cosaquin as needed, cerenia on occasion if the pepcid isn't working, subq fluids and b12 shots.
My Bella is with me since sometime in the 90s....I remember finding her and her kits, the kits getting homes....we found a home for Bella...but she wasn't happy there and came home to me.
She's my heart.
I know that many of you, Cat pawrents, have been through this...the one day good, one day not good...of having a super senior olde furt.
Can any of you give me some advice? Maybe it's the rain, but I'm feeling so sad.
I feel like we're riding a rollercoaster.

lots of love,
Deb, Mom to the KG cats,
And special mom to m Kitty Girl,
Bella
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Thu Aug 2, '12 10:18am PST 
IT is surely a helpless feeling when you are tryint to do everything, and it seems to work less & less. I felt that way when our dog got to be 16. He had dementia & was wobbly, but we kept going until his back legs would not hold him up anymore, and the vet told me he was not a candidate for surgery. It was hard, but he had a good long happy life, growing up with my 2 kids. Losing him at the time they were growing up was like losing such a part of me. The point is I truly understand, the connections - everything. Maizy is only 7 so I do not kow about an aging kitty, but love is the same. You always do everything for your babies, and I know how much you love them. All you can do is the best you can for her, and when she hurts too much, then the hardest part of love comes with letting go. I think you have a heated bed for her right? If not, maybe that would help. I know it is frustrating, but you really are doing all you can. JUst wanted to send our hugs.
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Thu Aug 2, '12 9:05pm PST 
This is Delyte. It might comfort you to know that one of the reasons why older cats' coats don't look as nice is that we lose the grooming quality of our saliva over the years. Cat spit has evolved to be a grooming formula, along with our raspy tongues to comb the fur, and both do not operate at peak as we get older. Our tongues actually get smoother and our spit doesn't work as well. They don't recommend bathing us too much, because we hate it and it dries the skin and fur out. If you step in things or are smelly, spot cleaning is better and can encourage us to wash ourselves.

Many purrs to Bella! My person is obsessing over me, because I am 17 now and the oldest cat she has ever had, and days go up and down a lot at this age. Try to enjoy everything you can, no matter how long it lasts! smile
[notify]

~Purrcy ~- Meohmy

I AM- MARSHMELLOW CAT!

Purred: Thu Aug 2, '12 10:30pm PST 
Dear Deb,
Yes I know the heartache of the ups and downs of older cats. and I understand the desperation and fear of losing the beautiful cat that you have loved for so many many years. I don't know any way to make you feel less fearful, but I do know that YOU will know when it is time to let go. It is something you do out of compassion and love - you set aside your fears and make the decision - because is it the right thing to do. It is NOT the easy thing to do.
I cry still after helping my precious Purrcy to the Bridge in October. I was a basket case for days before, because I felt I couldn't let him go, but he was so sick and so tired, and he had gone through so much. I know he recovered from his surgeries and other illnesses because he loved me and had faith in my love for him. But it was time for me to make it right for him. It was so so hard, but I did it because I loved him so much, that I couldn't bear to see him suffer. I loved him too much to allow it.
I'm crying again now - I think the hurt never goes away altogether, but becomes a bit less a bit at a time.
I hurt for you because I know how it feels,I just can't tell you how to make it not feel so devastating. I'm sorry. It is wonderful to have a heart cat, but not wonderful to lose them. I wish I could help more.
Big hugs
Purrcy's mumma
[notify]

Rory

little red- biscuit head

Purred: Wed Aug 15, '12 8:15pm PST 
I don't know what you feed but nutro naturals and Pro Plan Indoor formulas do help the poo smell less bad, they do have some grain but if she tends to fatness just cut the amount of food. Hugs, and missing our old BooBoo
[notify]

Bella My- Beautiful- Angel

Mommys Kitty- Girl! I know- I\'m loved!

Purred: Thu Aug 16, '12 7:53am PST 
fatness??? I wish!!!!
She's so skinny now.
We have to watch what she eats, it appears that she does not tolerate poultry at all...
so far, she appears to be able to eat fancy feast beef and occasionally fussiecat fish flavors.

This morning she went over and tried to bully Smokie away from some baby food. She didn't get it-but it was ok...it was chicken. It was good to see her do that. She had some salmon and tuna instead.
[notify]

Chiquitita

Sing a new- song...

Purred: Sat Aug 25, '12 1:06am PST 
Purring for you!

Chiquitita and family! hug
[notify]

♥Kall- y- Kat♥

☆Diva- on- Demand☆

Purred: Sat Aug 25, '12 3:56pm PST 
Keeping you in our thoughts & prayers Bella & Mommy!meditate meditate

Just keep her as comfortable as you can & spend as much
quality time with her as possible.

Yes, I have been there & my heart♥ is so very heavy for you right now.
I will light a candle for your Bella Mom!

Please furriends,hughughughughug lets light up those candles!
Light A Candle for Bella!

Thank you so much!

Luv is 4 – eva,
Kally Kat & Mom Liz ღ ღ

Click on the green link for her candle page!

Light a candle for Bella.
[notify]