GO!

At what age do you start giving "senior" food?

Share advice for keeping your aging cat happy and healthy

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Tutu

whatcha doooin?

Purred: Sun Feb 19, '12 7:08pm PST 
Hey all.

So my lovely adopted Tutu is anywhere between 8 and 10 years old, we're not entirely sure.

She recently had an exam and all her bloodwork and organs and even her hip joints are looking great. She just has some back problems in one specific area but nothing serious. I give her Catswell Happy Hips Chicken Treats that have the same exact ingredients as Cosequin which is a joint/cartilage health supplement for cats.

Anyway, my question is when I should switch her to senior-specific food. For canned food she wants nothing but Fancy Feast (sigh...) but she'll eat any healthy kibble I give her. Right now she has Halo Salmon with Omega-3. Her weight is hovering around just a little overweight but the vet said senior food may be an answer to what might be a slowed metabolism from her being spayed only 2 years ago.

I need to buy more kibble soon so I thought I'd ask the catsperts. I would like to keep giving her something to help with hairball maintenance (omega-3s help) but there's also low-cal kibbles out there.

Opinions?
[notify]

Sneakers, I- miss you

Got Milk?

Purred: Sun Feb 19, '12 9:54pm PST 
I've never used a senior food for my cats. They eat "all life stages" foods. way to go
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Mon Feb 20, '12 10:02am PST 
Tis is Delyte. What they call "senior food" is usually just a marketing ploy. Especially for a healthy senior cat. Just feed the best quality food the cat will eat, and encourage her to eat healthier kinds. Fancy Feast is not all that bad, although it varies depending on the kind.

Even being a little overweight helps sometimes. When I was ten I developed a huge tumor in my intestines and our person paid for it to be removed. I had a very hard convalescence, and lost a lot of weight, so I needed my previous pudge. As long as you do not develop a thyroid problem, you just need to monitor weight. If you show signs of having aching joints, then you need to keep light and see if that helps that.

Purrs to you and have a long happy life! cat on moon
[notify]

Tutu

whatcha doooin?

Purred: Thu Feb 23, '12 8:09am PST 
Thanks kitties!!

I will continue to do what makes Tutu happy and give her healthy kibbles with her FF.

And you're right, it's not a crime to be a little pudgy. She should be between 8 and 9 lbs though, not 9 and 10! (She's a teenybeany!)
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Thu Feb 23, '12 11:13am PST 
It's true, it's a marketing ploy. As long as the food has good ingredients, there's no need for feeding a "special food". When you say healthy kibble, what does that mean? What kind of kibble? shrug
[notify]

QGM- Harlequin- (Striped- Seven)

I am a show- champion!

Purred: Sat Feb 25, '12 2:36pm PST 
That is true about the weight too... My kitty Harlequin is generally lean, and she's a tiny cat, her weight is normally between 7-8 pounds. When she got a bad URI and wasn't eating well (at one point I had to hand-feed her), she lost weight and since she was lean beforehand, she quickly became too thin.
[notify]

Tutu

whatcha doooin?

Purred: Sun Feb 26, '12 3:51pm PST 
By healthy kibbles I mean the brands that don't use corn or cellulose.
She is rarely picky about kibbles but, naturally, LOVES the corn-based ones. But they just make her obese. So we've tried Halo which works but I want to try Taste of the Wild next, I think.
[notify]

Pepper

Queen of the- Cheetahs and- Wiggy's Wife!

Purred: Wed Mar 21, '12 3:29pm PST 
I turned 8 in Dec. My vet told Mommy I am healthy and at this time there is no need to change my diet. I am to remain 8-9 pounds too though no one is fussing if I tip the scales some over 9 lbs. I eat Purina Naturals and a tea spoon of Friskies shredded or Fancy Feast medleys at morning and at night. I will loose my winter pudge as I help my pawrents garden and such MOL!
[notify]

Jack

Purred: Thu Mar 22, '12 9:52am PST 
Kiki and I eat senior formulas and we're doing a lot better on them than we used to be. The extra glucosamine in ours helps keep our joints healthy. Our food is made for cats 7 years and up, but Kosuteh sneaks some too every so often. That's okay though. We eat her adult food too.
[notify]

Purred: Fri Mar 23, '12 12:23am PST 
Read labels cat food quality varies from beaks and feet to better stuff. With cats quality overrides quantity. Fillers tax Kittys delicate digestive track making it work overtime trying to absorb small amounts of nutrients from a large amount of filler.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2