GO!

At what age does a cat become a senior?

Share advice for keeping your aging cat happy and healthy

Silver

Loners can be- loved too.

Purred: Mon May 23, '11 9:36am PST 
Mom and I were wondering at what age will I become classified as a senior cat? I will be 6 in June or July mom needs to check the calandar. Thanks all!
[notify]

Tink the Cat

Never met a- mouse I didn\'t- bat!

Purred: Mon May 23, '11 1:03pm PST 
If you go to the bottom of the page, under "Have A Cat?" there is a place to calculate your pet's age in years. I find it VERY helpful! kitty
[notify]

Ashlynne

Silly girl

Purred: Mon May 23, '11 3:00pm PST 
Here is a link to the American Association of Feline Practitioners SENIOR CARE GUIDELINES.

It does not give a hard and fast rule for classifying "senior" cats, but says this:

"There is no specific age at which a cat "becomes senior." Individual animals and body systems age at different rates, but one convenient way to view older cats is to classify them as "mature or middle aged" (7-10 years), "senior" (11-14 years), and "geriatric” (15+ years). (FAB) This helps to focus on the varying disease risks of the different groups (e.g. obesity in the mature group; cachexia in the geriatric group). In this document, as elsewhere, the word "senior" is used as a broad category for all older cats, unless otherwise noted."

It goes on to make a recommendation for examinations with blood, urine and possibly T4 and BP tests in senior cats "at least annually starting at age 7-10, with the frequency increasing as cats age. Specific recommendations about age and frequency of testing depend on many factors."

So I think it can vary from vet to vet at what age they consider a cat "senior", when they recommend starting yearly blood tests, and when they recommend going from the annual checkup to a semi-annual checkup.
[notify]

Maizy

I may meow to- you if you're- worthy

Purred: Thu May 26, '11 8:53am PST 
our vet likes to do an annual blood work starting at age 5. but Maizy is far from being a senior - she is just turning 6 next month.
[notify]

Sugar

... and spice- and everything- nice!

Purred: Mon Aug 1, '11 8:44pm PST 
My cat is 12 yo, however she is very active like a kitten (very playful, active and does not nap as much), i hardly would consider her to be a senior.
[notify]

Bella My- Beautiful- Angel

Mommys Kitty- Girl! I know- I\'m loved!

Purred: Tue Aug 2, '11 12:02pm PST 
Well, our vet see's Bella 2 and sometimes (lately alot more) a year. Natalie on the other hand will be seen for a follow up, and then again in 6 months. The boys, once a year, unless there are problems. (lately there are, and Smokie still needs surgery) and Princess once she gets her check up this year once a year...shes only a year old.

Our vet told us that 7 is about the age she starts to look at 'older cat issues' but with some cats, they won't come up til the cat is past 10. It depends on so many factors.
[notify]

Saki

Purred: Wed Aug 31, '11 6:16pm PST 
My vet suggests a "senior exam" when a cat turns 6 or 7. This consists of (if I remember right) blood work, urinalysis and an x-ray. When that happened the first time for my kitties, I think I was hit harder (emotionally speaking) than when my own 30th or 35th birthday came around! I have since decided, in my own head, that this exam was to get a baseline look at their health so that later (much later!) when they were old, the doctor could compare and see changes. See, it's all about how you look at it!

When the kitties turned 10 years old, then the vet recommended twice a year check-ups... since so much can change in a year at that age.

cat on moon
[notify]

Harley

Purred: Thu Sep 8, '11 12:38pm PST 
When they get a discount at the pet store.lol
Seriously though cats are unlike Dogs my Harley passed away at age 21 and I wouldn't of considered him a senior until his last year.
Apparently he never considered him self a senior just a king.
[notify]