GO!

Weight Loss

Share advice for keeping your aging cat happy and healthy

(Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  
Winnie- (Angel)

Purred: Fri Apr 22, '11 9:42am PST 
I see the vet again in 2 weeks and we've got loads of questions to ask, i'm an old girl and haven't been in the best health for a few months but it was still a massive shock to hear Cancer, mum's mind went blank after hearing that and she couldn't think of anything.
I don't seem to be in pain, i'm doing everything i normally do, so i guess all we can do is carry on.
[notify]

Edison

The Big Scoob!

Purred: Wed Apr 27, '11 2:11pm PST 
I'm sorry to hear about your cancer, Winnie. I have a tumor on my liver, and the vet told Mom to do nothing - just spoil me, love me to bits, make sure I'm not in any pain, that I'm eating and drinking, peeing and pooping, etc. So far, I seem to be okay! And my vet told my mom to do the same things for me. I'm almost 16, which is a pretty good age - I'm on meds for the liver, plus my kidneys and thyroid, and I'm doing pretty well for an old guy!

Edited by author Wed Apr 27, '11 2:17pm PST

[notify]

Angel Hallie- (5-15-96/11-- 7-12)

Please consider- adopting an- older cat!

Purred: Mon May 16, '11 6:33pm PST 
Age related kidney failure and hyperthyroidism seem to be two of the most common causes of decline of weight & condition in an elderly cat.
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Tue May 17, '11 1:35pm PST 
Hi Winnie and Edison! I'm so sorry you both have tumors in your livers. I had fatty liver disease which of course is NOT the same thing but I didn't get better. The liver is so tender in a kitty. It is probably the best thing to just keep living your life and get all the love, hugs, treats, etc that you can get. You're both very, very lucky to have such loving and understanding parents. It's going to be very hard for them to lose either one of you. But it may not be for a very long time, we'll pray that's the case. That you both live, pain free, and happy for as long as you can. Many purrs and headbonks to you both. hug
[notify]

Chiquitita

Sing a new- song...

Purred: Tue May 17, '11 4:58pm PST 
Purring for you both! hug
Chiquitita, Bandit and mommy
[notify]

Angel Hallie- (5-15-96/11-- 7-12)

Please consider- adopting an- older cat!

Purred: Thu Jun 16, '11 7:05pm PST 
I've seen many older cats lose weight, sometimes almost like they go overnight from looking healthy to looking skinny and old, all were cats who after developing that skinny old cat look, I call it, lived approximately another year with supportive treatment for age related kidney failure.

Hyperthyroidism is another common ailment seen in senior cats which causes weight loss.

I've also seen senior cats refuse to eat and lose weight because of bad teeth, sometimes including infection, and a painful mouth. AFter removal of the bad teeth and treatment for the infection, these cats ate normally again.

A thorough vet checkup & lab tests is in order. The sooner such problems are diagnosed and appropriate treatments started, the better the animal's chances for longer quality life time.
[notify]

Winnie- (Angel)

Purred: Fri Jul 29, '11 2:53pm PST 
i've been given a new diagnosis, triaditis, we'll never be 100% because mum wont let me be knocked out for scans but ive been on the meds for a few weeks and ive put on almost 2lb, the vet did say theres still a chance of it being cancer but for now i'm doing well and eating LOADS!
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Fri Jul 29, '11 7:02pm PST 
WINNIE! Please go to my website about Triaditis! I had that!!! www.ibdkitties.net. Pawmail me if you need anything or have any questions!
[notify]

Winnie- (Angel)

Purred: Sat Jul 30, '11 4:31am PST 
Thank you Alex for the infomation, i will message you if i have any questions
xxx
[notify]

Winnie- (Angel)

Purred: Thu Mar 1, '12 10:47am PST 
Just thought i'd update, i'm still here, its been almost 11 months since my mum was told i had liver cancer and i would only live for about 2 weeks or so and that she should have me put to sleep, my weight did drop and im now a little boney but im a steady 3kg's, one vet said i had triditis another said i didnt and that i definitely had cancer and that my 2 legs were wicked keeping me alive... Same vet clinic just different vets, its amazing how different their opinions were...luckily my mum doesn't listen too well big grin
i have vitamin b12 jabs and steroids and im enjoying my life, im a little slow and sleep a lot but hey im a cat sleeping is what we do.
i see a nice vet now who laughs at me and cuddles me when i get grumpy with him when he gives me my jab and he says he can't feel any lumps, bumps or swellings.
In just over a month i will be 19 party

Edited by author Thu Mar 1, '12 10:55am PST

[notify]

(Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4