GO!

Weight Loss

Share advice for keeping your aging cat happy and healthy

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Winnie- (Angel)

Purred: Tue Mar 29, '11 1:37pm PST 
I'm almost 18 and I've been gradually losing weight as i've gotten older and my skin is a little loose,
i've had blood tests which were all clear and my teeth are fine,
although i do have food allergy problems which are under control with special foods,
my mum thought i was getting thinner because ive lost muscle density and truthfully i don't eat as much as i used to but the vet said today that it wasn't the case, that old cats don't lose weight unless they have a health problem and he's ordered another lot of blood tests for next week.

Have any other older kitties lost weight for no reason, just because they're getting older?
[notify]

Baltster- 1990 ~ 2011

Winks, to the- ladies, Iz still- got it

Purred: Tue Mar 29, '11 2:12pm PST 
Yes I have lost lots of weight, I used to be quite a big kittykitty well about 7 - 8 kgs but now I'm down to 3-4 kgs and the vets says I look great for an old guy. My bones stick out on my toosh, hey I'm old. I'm still in good shape according to them. I just have arthritis, the kidneys are starting to shut down and I have a bad bladder infection which I'm getting tablets for. I'm shaved down the back (it's still warm here in NZ) but all in all they reckon I'm in pawsome shape. So yes I think you do loose body mass as you get older. Even older humans are known to get smaller. At 18 I'm guessing you will be smaller than your prime. Congratulations for getting to 18 and counting
happy dance
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Tue Mar 29, '11 2:15pm PST 
Hi Winnie, well it really is true that kitties as well as people lose muscle mass as they get older. But kitties as well as people can develop all kinds of health issues also that can cause this when they get older and I'm actually very impressed your vet wants to pursue this. He could be saving your life sweetie! There are different series of tests that can show changes or problems that are not usually included in a standard blood test. Let him do what he has to do okay? Far too often I see vets that just send the kitty home and blame it on old age, when in fact they have something that needs to be treated. I'm very happy with this vet! Good for him and good for you! You're lucky to have him! smile
[notify]

Winnie- (Angel)

Purred: Wed Mar 30, '11 3:58am PST 
Thank you for the replies,
I'm definitely going for my blood tests next week, i was just curios when the vet said older cat's didn't lose weight, i used to be a big kitty but im about half the size i was, its been a gradually drop over the last few years.
I am grateful that the vet is trying to help, almost 2 years ago when my food problems started a different vet it wasn't worth trying any treatment because i was too old and at that point we didn't even know it was food making me ill,
my mum solved the problems by herself by basically buying every food she could until she found one i could eat!
My new vet is a cat owner and i think that makes all the difference.

Keep your paws crossed that my tests go ok
hug
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Wed Mar 30, '11 8:40am PST 
I think it's definitely worth pursuing then like you said. If that happened to you before and now this one wants to absolutely make sure you're okay, I definitely would do it. Since your mom had that experience already before, she understands the need to at least check and make sure. Good for her! We'll purr for you that everything turns out okay! Please keep us posted sweetie. way to go
[notify]

Winnie- (Angel)

Purred: Thu Apr 7, '11 1:11pm PST 
I had my blood test on tuesday but i don't get the results until next tuesday, so keep your paws crossed for me please.
I've got a huge bald patch on my neck where they took the blood but mum says im still beautiful!
red face
[notify]

Chiquitita

Sing a new- song...

Purred: Thu Apr 7, '11 5:23pm PST 
Of course you are beautiful Winnie! We are sending purrs and pawsitive energy to you... whatever the results we are here for you, please know, we are cheering you on and hope the results bring good news.

cheerdancing
Chiquitita and Bandit and mommy
[notify]

Bastet

Pet me! :)

Purred: Sun Apr 10, '11 1:20pm PST 
Good luck with the blood test results! Bastet and I are thinking about you.
[notify]

Natasha

Princess Forever

Purred: Tue Apr 12, '11 2:44am PST 
My vet starts senior testing when they are much younger than your cat. Alex is just eight and he will get his later in the year. It does save a life or help with the length of the life. Kidney problems are very common as they get older. You will see drop of weight with kidneys. Cats can live months or years with the kidney disease. If you get on top of it early, you can change diet, add water to their food, or just give them more fluids yourself. Natasha had a lot of UTI's which indected something was wrong.....Testing is a positive approach to cat care....Any good vet will test with a senior cat. Hope all goes well....
[notify]

Winnie- (Angel)

Purred: Tue Apr 12, '11 5:11am PST 
got some of my test results today. My kidneys are fine, my liver is ok, i'm not diabetic but my thyroid test results have been lost so i had to have another blood test for that today, get the result next week.
I was so annoyed that they had to take more blood i bit the vet red face
[notify]

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4