GO!

Raw diet question

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Purred: Thu Feb 27, '14 4:40pm PST 
My cat, Sasuke, has been on his raw diet for 4 months. He's doing really well, the goop from his eyes is gone, his fur is no longer greasy and sheddy, and his teeth are looking a lot better than before when he was on the kibble. And this may sound crazy, but i think he's thinking clearer (he can open the basement door!) But I've been reading a lot about bones, organs, and deficiences with not feeding them. I looked up symptons of calcium deficiency and what not, and he isn't showing any of these symptons. The meat we buy still has the blood in tact however, and I'm wondering if he's getting enough calcium from that? There's a lot more blood in the red meat we buy for him than the chicken,and seems to really crave the red meat more. But then he gets tired of it and goes back to the chicken. I'm just thinking, since blood has calcium in it (apparently) is he getting enough calcium from that? My mom says shes not comfortable with buying bones for him and that he's doing fine, which he is, im just thinking about the future. I definitely am never switching back to kibble though.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Thu Feb 27, '14 6:33pm PST 
Can you list exactly what you feed your cat? Without knowing what you actually feed, we can't say if your cat is not getting adequate nutrition shrug

Plain raw meat on it's own is not a complete nutrionally balanced diet unless you add in a pre-mix such as TC Feline or are doing frankenprey or use a recipie like the one at Catinfo.org.

Well, blood does cntain calcium but I don't think in enough quantity to meet a cat's needs thinking
[notify]

Purred: Thu Feb 27, '14 7:34pm PST 
He just eats organic chicken thighs and organic red beef. My mom says shes willing to give him sardines with the bone in it and see what happens from there and if it goes ok she'll buy chicken with bone to give him too. Should he be having the meat with bone all the time or just bone sometimes? Im used to caring for herbivores so caring for a carnivore is extremely new to me
[notify]

Purred: Thu Feb 27, '14 8:13pm PST 
Im trying to convince her to buy him some meaty chicken bones but she says he'll choke. I don't know what to do :/ she says a chicken leg she might buy but is that too big?
[notify]

Purred: Thu Feb 27, '14 8:29pm PST 
I showed her videos of cats eating raw chicken bones and it seemed to really convince her so shes going to buy some tomorrow. Jeez sorry for 3 posts in a row, just updating ^^
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Fri Feb 28, '14 7:17am PST 
Only chicken thighs and beef? shock Your cat is definitely not getting a balanced diet from just that shockshock You might not see any physical signs of vitamin and mineral deficiencies right now but given time, the signs will show up like bone fractures from lack of calcium or blindness due to lack of taurine.

It's great that you are feeding a raw diet to your cat way to go You just need to read up on the proper way to do it. Here are two good links:
http://www.catinfo.org/?link=makingcatfood
http://www.catnutrition.org/

If you want to stick with raw meats that you buy from a supermarket or butcher shop, then there are three ways to do it: a recipe like the ones in the above links, use a pre-mix that contains all of the vitamins and minerals a cat needs, like TC Feline or Alnutrin (just mix the recommended amount of the powder to ground up meat), or do frankenprey.

It sounds like you want to add actual bone to the meat so that would be frankenprey. I'm not familiar with that type of raw diet. I do know that you have to feed 80% muscle meat, 10% bone, and 10% organs for every meal. Catster member BK will be able to give you more info about this smile

Human feeds commercial raw food for Leroy and Emma shrug
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Fri Feb 28, '14 7:57am PST 
Looks like I'm late to the party! You definitely are not feeding a balanced diet. A raw diet is not a matter of throwing some meat down. It must be balanced with vitamins and minerals. Merlin is correct, the percentages are 80% muscle meat (includes any heart you might feed), 10% bones, 5% liver and 5% other secreting organ. You've got to get the organ and bones into his diet immediately. Like Merlin said, you won't see the deficiency in the short run but it's very dangerous in the long run. Chicken legs and thighs might be too big for him unless you crunch them with a hammer or mallet. Best to start with necks (you can crack them at the joints to make it easier for him) or wing tips. Keep in mind that it will take him a while to build the jaw strength to crunch bones on his own. You could also look for smaller bones/fowl like Cornish hens or chicken ribs.

Let me ask you something? Have you noticed that his poop is soft? A raw fed cat's poop should be dry and odorless, especially if the bone percentage is correct. Just wondering what you've experienced.
[notify]

Purred: Fri Feb 28, '14 8:57am PST 
His poop is dry and odorless like you said. Im going to be introducing bone into his diet soon enough smile I tried giving him chicken liver once but he threw it up, any other organs (not heart though, my mom refuses to buy heart) you can recommend? Also since its 10 percent bone how much would that be a week? Its a good thing im catching this now, he seemed so healthy red face
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Fri Feb 28, '14 10:06am PST 
Liver can be rich to a cat not used to it. Try a sliver and if he keeps that down, try two slivers next time. You can also try beef or pork liver instead of chicken. Kidney is good for your "other" organ. We use sweetbreads because BK isn't crazy about kidney and we can't find anything else!
[notify]

Purred: Fri Feb 28, '14 11:57am PST 
When we were cooking gizzard he liked the smell of it, maybe raw gizzard he'd like smile I feel ridiculous for not researching this fully but I guess its a learning process red face we're buying him meaty chicken wing bones this afternoon, im sure he'll take to it quickly. He's still young so its not too late to step up his diet ^^ I worry about the poor guy so much, he's like my child! I learn more about carnivore nutrition every day. I know everything about rabbit and bird nutrition and am very comfortable with that but I like learning more about my cat, though it was a little frustrating at first. He's the only carnivore I plan on having so I should make it count and give him the best diet possible.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2