GO!

Not too sure whats going on with my cat?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Purred: Thu Feb 13, '14 7:00am PST 
Hello fellow members of Catster, I just joined in hopes of figuring out whats going on with my Muffin!

She is a 3 year old former stray, then shelter kitty, who was then adopted by me and my boyfriend. At the shelter, she had the kibble buffet. And not only was it a kibble buffet - it was whatever was at the shelter at the time. Eep. I normally feed canned to cats, but did alot of research on raw and decided to switch her over.

First we fed her Blue Buffalo indoor kibble until she was used to being here, we then slowly switch her over to Natures Variety Instinct canned in the chicken formula - which she absolutely loved. Then I started introducing the Raw diet (Natures variety Instinct frozen Raw,chicken,..de thawed of course laugh out loud ). To my surprise she would actually go straight for the amounts of raw mixed into the canned in her bowl and 90% of the time there would be canned left over. I thought it was awesome and thought this would be a breeze of a switch.

Shes been on strict raw for almost a month now with 2 feeding times, once at around 9am then around 7pm. She gets 3 "medallions" a day from the raw diet (I think they are 1oz each?). Shes kind of an overweight kitty at 15 pounds last time we checked, so were trying to make her lose some weight. So for the past week or so...for some reason iv been having a heck of a time to get her to eat her food. In the morning she does the typical "im starving you never feed me!" cat begging, but once I put her food down she will sniff it and walk away. I have to pick her up, put her back to the bowl, she will eat a bit then walk away. I pick her up again - she will eat a bit more then walk away. Geeze!

I dont know why she suddenly started doing this (Mind you if I crush up a dry treat and sprinkle it on she gobbles it up)...im scared to try the "tough love" tactic on her because a) this food is expensive and I dont want to waste any. b) Im super paranoid about her getting kidney problems from not eating.

Does anyone have an idea whats going on? Maybe she grew out of the chicken and I should try something different the next batch I buy?

Thanks! kitty
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Fri Feb 14, '14 4:56am PST 
I find this is typical cat behavior - they wait until you buy a large quantity of something they loved, only to decide they don't like it anymore, lol! I wouldn't panic. Try another flavor, go back to half canned, use the crushed kibble as an incentive - see what works best. As long as she's eating something I wouldn't worry about health problems, although of course you don't want her to lose too much weight too quickly. People always ask which is the best raw food to feed. The answer is, the one they'll eat! Same situation here. Try a few things and see what she prefers. Good luck!
[notify]

Purred: Fri Feb 14, '14 6:47am PST 
Thank you for the reply smile Im definitely going to be switching up her food once this batch is done - im hoping she likes lamb...I was going to get her the frozen duck formula but the amount of bone in it was questionable.

I tried playing with her before mealtime last night to work up an appetite - nothing. I tried pouring some tuna juice on her food - she licked around the food to get to the tuna juice. big laugh

Tried switching up the routine this morning, I played with her - then instead of serving it in her bowl I served it slightly warm (Warmed in bag sitting in warm water) on a flat plate. And shes eating ! She walked away a few times but shes actually sitting down and eating. cheersnoopyparty Im so relieved right now...lol darn cat is going to give me an aneurysm.
[notify]

BK

Purred: Fri Feb 14, '14 10:10am PST 
I don't know how the pre-made raw works but I would buy small amounts of different flavors to see which she prefers. I don't guess you can get samples, huh? Or how about a "variety pack" of medallions - do they sell it like that?
[notify]

Purred: Sat Feb 15, '14 7:49am PST 
They do sell sample packs. But they also recently came out with bite sized raw specifically for cats (The other formulas were for both cats and dogs), which I want to give a try. And I dont see any sample packs for that yet. Thankfully the store I buy it from will let me trade it in for another bag if she dosnt like it. Shame she decided to start giving me a hard time now that this 3 pound bag of medallions is almost finished lol.

This is what I currently feed her:

http://www.instinctpetfood.com/product/instinct-grain-free-r aw-frozen-chicken-diet-1-oz-medallions-48-count

This is what I just ordered for her:

http://www.instinctpetfood.com/product/instinct-grain-free-raw-f rozen-lamb-diet-bites-cats

I really would love to make her own food but we dont have the money for a grinder and it would be hard to source local safe meat around here that dosnt come from a grocery store frown

Edit: Would you be able to do me a favor? Check out the Duck formula for the cat bites from the link. I originally wanted to go with duck but it has both whole ground duck including the bone plus ground turkey bone - too much bone content do you think?

Edited by author Sat Feb 15, '14 7:52am PST

[notify]

Stella

Stella- Felinis--Queen- of All Kitties!

Purred: Sat Feb 15, '14 9:37am PST 
It's Stella. We don't have any experience with raw food but boy do we have experience in finicky eating! big grin One thing you might think of is to check out the kitty's teeth. Sometimes the "I'm starving but won't eat" syndrome is due to a toothache or gum problems or even just a bit of something stuck in there. Cats are VERY sensitive to slightly changed experiences and will refuse to do normal behavior if it feels even slightly different. I would imagine that you need all of your teeth for a raw diet?

Our fursib Delyte died last year from the effects of bad teeth on top of other illnesses, and our person feels guilty that she did not take better care of his teeth. We hear that eating raw is good for the teeth, so you are on the right track. Giant purrs to you from all of us! wave
[notify]

BK

Purred: Sat Feb 15, '14 2:43pm PST 
It's hard to tell from the ingredient list if there's too much bone because they don't give percentages. I have heard of some pre-made raw being heavy on bone content. You'll be able to tell from her poop - if it's dry and crumbly and like a whitish color, that's too much bone. In which case you can just add some cut up meat to "thin" it out a little.

Also, if you're on the east coast, check out Hare-Today. They sell meat ground with bones and organs - you don't need your own grinder. There's a similar place on the west coast but I don't know what they're called.
[notify]

Purred: Sat Feb 15, '14 7:12pm PST 
Thank you both for the reply big grin

Stella - When we took her to the vet last she said Muffin has some mild gingivitis, but gave us certain treats to clear it up. Iv peeked in her mouth as best I could every once in awhile since then and her gums and teeth seem to be fine. She crunches hard treats no problem so I think her mouth is ok smile

BK - Thanks for the rabbit tip! il check it out, and do some searching of my own to see if I can find plain ol pre ground prey. For now im crossing my fingers that she likes lamb and will take to the new raw we ordered for her. Picky little one she is !
[notify]