GO!

Rancid Raw

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Midas

'cause his touch- is too much!

Purred: Thu Oct 3, '13 5:47pm PST 
First, I just want to say that I do not actually intend to feed any of my animals rancid meat, this is just a question for my own curiosity!

I spend a good amount of time lurking on the dogster raw forums as well because I have 3 dogs in addition to Midas. The general consensus over there is that bad smelling, 4D, even rancid meat can safely be fed to dogs. Meat that has been left out over night is definitely not a problem for dogs. Is the same true for cats? I am going to guess no, because cats kill and then eat their prey, immediately I assume. But what is the threshold? How many hours after something is killed will it still be consumed? How many hours after something is pulled from the freezer or fridge can it be left out before being considered bad? Thank you for sharing your thoughts, and research is also nice too if any is available!
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Fri Oct 4, '13 4:18am PST 
My guess is that it is the same for cats as dogs. Raw moves through their systems so quickly that bacteria is not an issue. I have left raw food out for hours and nobody is bothered by it. I've also fed meat that smelled a little "off" to me but BK thought was just fine. I wouldn't feed anything obviously rotten but I don't worry about things that are a little old. I let THEM tell ME what's edible and what's not!
[notify]

Smudge

I am the Love- Monster.

Purred: Sat Oct 5, '13 3:02pm PST 
I find that cats love the foods that "smell" the most. Things that we would never put on our table do not hold to what a cat would put on it's table.

Just remember you are judging by your human instinct, not by the cats' instinct. What is rancid raw to you is a feast to your cat.

MJ
Caregiver to 17 cats, 3 dogs, 1 skunk, 2 possums and a few other things.
[notify]

Midas

'cause his touch- is too much!

Purred: Sat Oct 5, '13 9:32pm PST 
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this! I will admit, I feed him once a day and just leave his food out. Sometimes he finishes it within the first hour, other times it will be as much as 8 hours later that he goes back. I imagine that there is definitely some bacteria growth in that time, but he is healthy and never seems to have a problem with this time frame. On the odd occasion there is some left after 24 hours, I do simply discard it as I need to wash the bowl. I have read though that people say it should only be left out for an hour or so, which is different than what I have read for dogs, hence why I was under the impression that maybe their digestion was a little different. That and them being hunters, whereas dogs both hunt and scavenge. Maybe cats scavenge more than I think they do? I appreciate knowing that he will be a good judge of things and I don't have to do ALL the work when it comes to taking care of him. big grin
[notify]