GO!

Left out food

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Jazz

Purred: Fri Aug 30, '13 3:21pm PST 
How long can raw food be left out before you take it back? My kittens love the raw food (Nature's Variety Instinct Raw Bites) that I give them, but they tend to eat half and come back for the rest later. They do this with all food, so it's not that they don't like it, but how long can it be left out and then eaten safely? I mean, do wild cats eat their kills in stages or for prolonged times like wolves? If I give it to them and they eat some, is there a time when I can take it and put it in the freezer to give later or is it just bad after that?

Also, my kittens have a hard time eating apart, they've gotten used to eating out of the same bowl. I'd like to regulate how much each eats and keep one very fat kitten from stealing the other's food. However, when they are put in separate rooms, they just meow and refuse to eat. Would some tough love be appropriate here?
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sat Aug 31, '13 5:12am PST 
I'm ashamed to say I leave out raw food for hours sometimes, and we've never had a problem. That said, why not put out half portions more often? Keep half in the fridge for their next meal?

Yes, I think you can use tough love on them because the thing about kittens is that food is the most important thing in their lives, mol. Once they realize they have to eat alone, they will. But I also think that be having lots of species appropriate food they will learn to regulate themselves. As long as the smaller one is getting enough, I wouldn't worry about the fat one!
[notify]