GO!

4 months

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Oreo

I bite back

Purred: Fri Aug 16, '13 12:10pm PST 
Oreo is four months old now.
At what age should he start to be fed fewer time per day? Hes been eating three to four times a day to this point. Also, when do I make it a certain amount rather than just as much as he'll eat?
[notify]

Toby

Raw fed &- polydactyl!

Purred: Sat Aug 17, '13 4:11am PST 
Hey there!

What's he look like? How much is he eating now?
Toby's almost 5 months and I transitioned him by offering two LARGE meals a day, and letting him nibble off that. Now he's naturally down to two adult-sized meals a day.

He's still a little kid, so I'd feed him as much as he wants as long as he's keeping a healthy weight, and try to work on getting a more "normal/adult" routine by offering large meals twice a day.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sat Aug 17, '13 5:18am PST 
It really depends on the kitten. Leroy was eating four 1 oz meals a day until he was about a year old. Then he only needed three 1 oz meals a day. He's 3 years old now and still eats three 1 oz meals a day. By comparision, Emma is the same age as Leroy and was eating two 1 oz meals a day when Human got her at 6 months old. She still only eats two 1 oz meals a day.

If you start to notice leftover raw food in the bowl, then decrease the amount of food you feed. 1 oz of food is generally a good amount for a meal.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sat Aug 17, '13 5:46am PST 
I would keep feeding as much as he'll eat for as long as he's still growing - probably about a year, unless you notice he's gaining too much weight. Since (in theory anyway) he's satisfied because of the quality of his diet, he should self-regulate.
[notify]

Oreo

I bite back

Purred: Wed Aug 28, '13 12:10am PST 
I haven't been measuring his food since at each meal he gets as much as he'll eat, but started having him fed two times a day. He doesn't seem to be content with that, keeps asking for food inbetween. So I'm going to go with three times a day for now. Seems to be at a healthy weight.

Edited by author Wed Aug 28, '13 12:12am PST

[notify]

Toki

Evens Toki?

Purred: Wed Aug 28, '13 12:27am PST 
Toki gets 2 2oz meals a day and will let me know if she is still hungry throughout the day. (Meowing at the fridge or licking me) I weigh what I give her and the most she's eaten in a day was 8oz! She just turned 13 weeks.
[notify]

Oreo

I bite back

Purred: Tue Sep 24, '13 11:35pm PST 
Right now he is generally getting one can of wet food in the morning and as much raw as he'll eat in the evening.
He generally asks for food any time of the day that you enter the kitchen, so that doesn't seem to be a good indicator of how much to feed him.

I'm wondering if this is too much, but he seems pretty trim overall. His stomach feels like there might be a little fat there, but I'm not sure if that's a problem or not.

I had a cat a long time ago that was badly overweight and eventually died from it. So I am just worrying more than I probably need to.
Of course, being underweight can be a very bad thing, too.

Edited by author Tue Sep 24, '13 11:37pm PST

[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Wed Sep 25, '13 4:39am PST 
He's still so young, which means he's energetic and growing. That's why I usually let kitten fosters eat as much as they want to. I've never had a kitten get fat. Once they realize there's "enough" food they calm down a bit and only eat what they need - especially if they're eating raw. Of course what a kitten needs is usually a whole lot more than what a grown cat needs!
[notify]