GO!

Dental health, digestive health, and Natures Variety Instinct Raw Chicken Medallions?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Lolly

Spit Fire

Purred: Sat Jul 27, '13 4:34pm PST 
Hello! I feed my kittens Natures Variety Instinct Premade Raw Chicken Medallions, the chicken variety. I feed three medallions a day to both of my kittens (Both about 4 months old).

I realize they need meat that they can rip and chew to keep their teeth clean, and would be feeding fully home prepared raw meals for them if I was more confident in my own skills. I want to ensure they are getting the nutrients they need as growing kittens and feel that experimenting during this critical time would be unwise on my part as an inexperienced raw feeder. I figured this would be a logical compromise in the mean time (I fully intend on feeding them a fully home prepared raw diet (raw meaty bones, frankenprey, like that) in the future when I am feeling more secure and educated.

I have two concerns about feeding Natures Variety Instinct as their staple diet:

1. Because it is ground, how can they get their teeth clean? Should I give them a chicken neck on the side, or will that cause an imbalance in the meat to bone ratio?

2. I read that chewing whole raw meat causes the cats stomach to actually anticipate the food and prepare itself for digestion. If I am giving them ground food, am I interrupting this and causing digestive troubles?

Thank you very much for all advice! red face
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sat Jul 27, '13 4:41pm PST 
Human feeds Nature's Variety frozen raw wave Leroy and Emma both get their teeth brushed smile Leroy gets his teeth brushed every day beause his breed is prone to dental problems shrug Emma will only tolerate teeth brushing every other day. Neither will gnaw on raw bone or organs shrug

Some cats do enjoy gnawing on raw bones and meats. You can try this for your cats smile A chicken wing or neck daily is fine.

Nature's Variety raw is a bit high in bone content for a cat so you should give a small amount of raw meat daily. Too much bone can lead to constipation. Human is slowly adding small amounts of raw meat to the diet.

We've never heard of ground raw food causing digestive issues shrug Leroy and Emma have been eating NV for 3 years now and have never had any digestive issues.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sun Jul 28, '13 4:43am PST 
For dental health I would move to the Frankenprey as soon as possible. Although you do need some basic education for a healthy raw diet, some of it is trial and error and unless you make mistakes for a long period of time you should be fine. Start them on some small bones to build up their jaw strength. You can add some chunked meat to the NV to keep them balanced until you get them switched over. You can also give gizzards to help clean their teeth.

Just remember the basic rules: 80% muscles meat (as much variety as possible), 10% bone, 5% liver and 5% other secreting organ and you're on your way!
[notify]

Toby

Raw fed &- polydactyl!

Purred: Sun Jul 28, '13 5:41am PST 
Hi, Toby is fed ground raw mixes from Hare Today (we also do frankenprey but cannot do frankenprey 100% because Toby doesn't eat everything, he picks around the bones...)

As mentioned, NV is a little high in bone content, so some choose to add meat to it to get it closer to balanced. You could do what I do and add a few gizzards in - gizzards are considered a "meaty meat" and are very chewy, so provide a great dental benefit.

There is a benefit to having cats chew their food versus gulp it down -- it's more natural -- however, my cat has never been sick from eating ground raw. Some cats when just starting out may have some stomach upset.
[notify]

Lady

Gee golly Miss- Lady!

Purred: Thu Dec 12, '13 9:55pm PST 
Mommy aka my assistant loves Stella and Chewy's patties and NV mini raw boosts! She adds these to my NV wet food and boy is it a workout! Sadly, I did not take to the raw food any other way! As others have said, its all about trial and error! Good luck!
[notify]