GO!

Would raw help my kitty?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sat Jul 13, '13 5:46am PST 
I wouldn't use liver, only because if you're feeding a commercial raw, in theory, it's a balanced meal. Liver has vitamin A which is the one vitamin that isn't flushed from the body. When you feed "Frankenprey" liver is 10% of the diet. In fact, if money is an issue you may want to consider ground raw or Frankenprey. It's much cheaper than the commercial raw.
[notify]

Bella

...my butt isn't- THAT fluffy!- ...is it?

Purred: Sat Jul 13, '13 1:18pm PST 
Thanks for the BK, I'll keep that in mind. Does make sense now that you mention it. big grin
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sat Jul 13, '13 4:04pm PST 
Too much liver can result in vitamin A toxicity shock So limit feeding liver if you plan on feeding commerical raw food. If you make your own food, limit liver to 10% of the mix.
[notify]

Allie

Ms. Bug Catcher

Purred: Wed Jul 31, '13 1:27pm PST 
just figured I'd give an update incase anyone was interested!

My kitties seem to be gobbling up their new raw diet! Allie was a bit hesitant at first, but Bella dove right in. To get Allie to give it a go I bought a few cans of her fave can food, Chicken Almo Nature, and mixed it in. She just LOVES it now.
Their energy levels seem, rather...high since eating this food lol. It's good to seem them playing more and getting more active, especially Allie. big grin

OH! One thing I've also noticed is NO MORE STINK from Allie with her litter box use! Oh gosh this has got to be my favourite part of this diet change. It's so nice to see Allie having better poops that are not only, more solid, but FAR less stinky. dancing
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Thu Aug 1, '13 4:51am PST 
Allie, this is great news! Aren't the benefits wonderful? So glad to hear it.
[notify]

Purred: Sat Aug 31, '13 8:43am PST 
NEVER feed dry food to cats; the low moisture content of 10% is the reason why kidney disease and CRF is a major killer of premature death.

And dump any vet that doesn't recommend a species-appropriate balanced raw meat diet for cats/dogs... only see vets that practice both allopathic and holistic veterinary.
Roger Biduk
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sat Aug 31, '13 4:56pm PST 
Hello Guest wave

Not all regular vets are opposed to raw food diets. The vet Human uses is fine with her feeding raw food even though he recommends commercial pet food to other clients.

Some vets may not be very educated about raw food diets so that is why they discourage clients from feeding it. But that doesn't mean the client can't feed raw food at all. A pet owner does not need permission from the vet to feed a paricular brand or type of food, period. The vet might not like your food choice but can't force you to change it. It's YOUR cat after all, not the vet's cat.

Not everyone has access to a holistic vet shrug Many pet owners only have access to a regular vet, or in small rural area, a farm animal vet. Pet owners can educate their vet about raw food diets and the benefits of such a diet over commercial food. Many vets are open to learning new things, even if it's from a client smile

Older pets are set in their food preferences and will not eat any raw food at all. You can try to slowly transition the pet to raw food but it will likely take a long time and lots and lots of patience. Just ditching all the commerical food and feeding raw food can result in a pet going on a food strike, which can lead to fatty liver disease in cats.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2