GO!

Kitten doesn't eat much of anything

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Toby

Raw fed &- polydactyl!

Purred: Mon Jul 1, '13 4:13pm PST 
Toby is 12 weeks (going to the vet Weds night for last vax series).

I am told that kittens eat "a ton of food" at this stage in their lives, however Toby doesn't seem too interested in food.

Here's what's going on:

- I feed twice/day, each meal is 1 2.5 oz bag of poultry/mutton meat/bone/organ ground mixes from Hare Today supplemented with Alnutrin. I leave it out because he likes to snack all day.

- He eats, but not consistently and not with gusto. Sometimes he'll eat a whole meal in one sitting then won't eat the next meal that day. Sometimes he'll just take a few bites of a meal, then come back later; some days it's like he just nibbles at his food, then walks over to the dog food dish. I didn't want him eating dog food, so I put down a few pieces of Wellness CORE kitten food which he ate -- but if I leave a bowl of it for him, he won't touch it.

What's going on????

Should this kitten be eating more? I'm wasting a lot of expensive food!

I don't know how to make him happy - he just doesn't seem to LOVE food the way I'm told kittens should, and I'm not going to feed him some crap food.

He's just over 3lbs and vet says he's healthy, I just don't get it.

Edited by author Mon Jul 1, '13 4:16pm PST

[notify]

Amber

I didn't do it!

Purred: Mon Jul 1, '13 9:49pm PST 
Small kittens have VERY small stomachs. To avoid wasting food, try freezing his raw food in ice cube trays so that you can thaw out smaller portions. Additionally, if he is truly not eating enough, you may want to get some forti-flora to sprinkle on the food, as it smells and tastes very good to cats and kittens, but just use a little bit, like you would put salt and pepper on your food, as animal digest is a nasty ingredient, but it almost never fails to entice a cat to eat.
[notify]

Toby

Raw fed &- polydactyl!

Purred: Tue Jul 2, '13 4:05am PST 
Good idea about ice cube trays - I saw this on a video recently - I have a new shipment of raw coming in tomorrow and will plan to do this!
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Tue Jul 2, '13 4:20am PST 
Have you tried any chunks of meat, rather than ground? With some cats it's a texture thing. BK hates ground but eats his Frankenprey happily. Try throwing down a chunk of something or a chicken wing and see what happens. It's worth a try.
[notify]

Toby

Raw fed &- polydactyl!

Purred: Tue Jul 2, '13 4:04pm PST 
BK, yes, before I was feeding ground he was gnawing on chicken wings/ribs/chunks of meat just fine!

Funny, he won't eat the coarse ground stuff from H-T -- argh!! THIS CAT!
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Wed Jul 3, '13 4:43am PST 
It's amazing how different they all are! I don't think I've ever had two eating the same thing, mol.
[notify]