GO!

Primal Freeze Dried Raw?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Bubbles

Because I'm a- lady, that's- why.

Purred: Sat Jun 29, '13 9:58pm PST 
http://www.primalpetfoods.com/product/list/c/14

I was thinking of adding some raw food to the diet of my two kittens, Bubbles and Bastian, and was wondering if Primal is an ideal freeze dried raw?
I tried Stella & Chewy's with Bubbles, but she snubbed it. I'm hoping with more palatable meats like beef and salmon, she'll give it a shot. Bastian has never tried freeze dried raw, so I am really anxious to hear other's thoughts on this brand.

Also, if I feed canned in the morning, can I give freeze dried raw in the afternoon with no trouble?

Thank you! smile
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Jun 30, '13 5:55am PST 
Primal Pet is awfully expensive, about $35 for the 14 oz bag shockshock I guess you can give it a try shrug

I'm surprised you snubbed Stella and Chewy's. That's a good brand. Did you try all the varieties? It's good to try the small pouches first before buying a big bag.

Ziwi Peak is another one you could feed but it's also expensive for a smaller bag then Primal Pet shrug It's air dried raw food, not freeze dried.

Human has seen Vital Essentials and Feline Natural freeze dried raw cat food at the pet store.

You can feed both canned and freeze dried raw with no problem way to go
[notify]

Bubbles

Purred: Sun Jun 30, '13 8:41am PST 
Thank you Merlin! I haven't been able to locate any other S&C... My pet store had Chick, Chick n Dinner on clearance, so when I was buying it for Floyd, then for Bubbles, I eventually bought out the last of their stock... shrug

The bags of Primal my pet store carries are $10.98 a piece... Not sure if they are 14 oz... These bags are about the same size as a 4lb bag of kibble... But, I agree... It is a bit expensive. $10 for a small bag is steep.

I haven't seen Ziwi Peak, but I also have a very nice feed store where I get my dog's Fromm's food, so I might inquire around if they have any freeze dried raw. big grin I also haven't poked around the Nature's Variety fridge at my pet store, but I might go and do that today! I think they have medallions and such that I could scope out!

I would do raw for my kitties... But I honestly have no stomach to handle or look at organs... I tried to thaw them out chicken liver the other day, and ended up yanking my latex gloves off and... Well... I just can't handle organs.. I can handle raw meat, but not the insides. The freeze dried version of raw I can handle though!
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sun Jun 30, '13 8:54am PST 
My only complaint about freeze dried raw is the lack of moisture. Water is one of the most important ingredients in a cat's diet. I would recommend a commercial frozen raw, or you might consider making your own ground raw. If you're within a two day shipping point of Hare-Today (in PA) they make raw grinds of meat, bone and organ so you never even see the organs. You could buy a bag, add a few supplements and freeze it up. If you're on the west coast I believe there's a company there that does the same thing. Just a thought!
[notify]

Bubbles

Purred: Sun Jun 30, '13 9:48am PST 
Thank you for those suggestions BK! I find myself in the eastern part of the US, in Tennessee, and have a limited income (I pet sit as a summer job before going to college, but I'll be doing work study), so ordering off the internet is a little hard, because I just try to find everything locally for my own ease.

I'm still not sure about doing my own raw... Plus, in August when leave for school, my mother adamantly refuses to feed raw food... So the freeze dried variety is what best fits my needs.. I plan to rehydrate it in water, and they will still be getting their canned food, so I hope that will be a huge amount of moisture to keep them healthy. I will be checking out all options thoroughly though. big grin
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Jun 30, '13 5:14pm PST 
Human feeds Nature's Variety Instinct frozen raw smile Here is the web site: http://www.instinctpetfood.com/instinct-raw-food-dogs-and-cats It just looks like a little meat patty. No visible organs or stuff but sometimes you do see a little tiny piece of bone or veggie.

Yes, the brand has medallions which is what Human feeds plus the larger patties. They also have new cat-sized nuggets in three varieties. I don't see why they need to make little nugget shaped raw food specifically for cats when one can just smush up a medallion into easy to eat pieces with a spoon or fork shrugshrug Besides they already have a Raw Bites line that is available in all the varietiesshrug

Nature's Variety sometimes has coupons for their products smile You can sign up on the web site to receive the coupons via email way to go

Do the Humans have any objections to feeding a pre-made raw medallion? thinking It's easy to thaw a few medallions in the fridge overnight and just feed one for each meal. A bag of raw food does take up space in the freezer shrug
[notify]

Bubbles

Purred: Mon Jul 1, '13 1:06pm PST 
Thank you Merlin!

I went to the pet store today, and after discussion with my mother, the pre made Nature's variety medallions are a doable thing for her. smile I also bought a package of chicken hearts and gizzards for the kittens to try. Bastian loved them, but Bubbles wouldn't touch them till I mixed canned in with the pieces.
shrug

She's the picky one of my duo.

As far as a whole diet, I think canned food, medallions, and the occasional raw treat like hearts and gizzards would a nice diet. I realize that wouldn't be complete... But I wouldn't be feeding the gizzards and hearts daily. Just trying to give them the best big grin
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Tue Jul 2, '13 4:13am PST 
I think that's a great plan. If you're just using the hearts and gizzards as treats I wouldn't worry about balance. If things are really out of whack you'll notice it in the poop.
[notify]

Bubbles

Purred: Wed Jul 3, '13 6:29am PST 
You guys are so helpful! big grin

Thank you very much. I can handle hearts and gizzards... But liver just makes me sick! silenced And they really love them!

Primal 5.5 bags of their freeze dried is on sale at the pet store for $8.98! I even got my dog a bag of the turkey and sardine formula!
[notify]