GO!

Raw meat.

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Princess

Princess by- name, Princess- by nature.

Purred: Sat Apr 27, '13 4:21pm PST 
It's my birthday soon and my mummy recently learnt that cats can eat raw meat. So she thought it would be a nice treat but she's worried about bacteria and whatnot and would like a bit of advice on what to do and buy.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sat Apr 27, '13 4:45pm PST 
Raw meat is great for cats way to go

Since you are planning only to give raw meat as treats, plain raw meat is fine smile Anything you buy at the supermarket or butcher shop is fine to eat way to go But avoid ground meat of any kind. Grinding mixes bacteria throughout the meat and you don't know how clean the grinding equipment is shrug Cooking will kill bacteria but I would be wary feeding raw ground meat to a cat.

Buy whole cuts of meat (chicken breast, thigh, etc) and cut it up yourself into easy to eat pieces. Poultry of any kind can be fed. Rabbit can be fed but can be hard to find at supermarkets. Venision is another choice if you have a good butcher shop or know someone who hunts and may have extra meat.

Liver, heart, gizzards, necks, and wings can also be fed.

You can buy commerical raw pet food as well. These go through a stringent quality control so you can be sure that the food is safe for your cat to eat smile Nature's Variety has small kibble shaped frozen raw food that is good for treats smile It's called Raw Bites. They also have the regular medallions of raw food.

Not all cats will eat raw food, esepcially those who have never eaten anything but dry and/or canned food shrug You might have to try tiny pieces of raw meat at a time, maybe even hiding it in stinky canned food. Plain cooked meat (poached or steamed in nothing but water or baked) is more appealing to some cats who won't eat raw.
[notify]