GO!

might be adopting a kitten soon, and need memory refreshed on raw feeding for cats

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Tinker Bell- 2003-2006

The life of a- friend is always- too short

Purred: Fri Apr 26, '13 1:07am PST 
I've been feeding my dog raw for several years now.

From what I remember, raw for cats is the same as raw for dogs, except that beef heart is a necessity. But how much is needed? And how often? Or does it matter that much?

In any case, I probably will have to go with just partial raw. The store rarely sells any beef heart. I could buy some off MCP, but don't have the money to do that regularly enough. (There aren't any pick-up locations anywhere near my state even, and the shipping to my house would be like at least twice as much as the price for the item.)
[notify]

Greebo

Purred: Fri Apr 26, '13 6:35am PST 
Heart is important because it has a large concentration of taurine, but it doesn't have to be BEEF heart. The hearts of any animal have lots of taurine and chicken hearts are pretty easy to find at grocery stores/Walmart.

I'll have to leave the "how often" to someone else, though I think that as long as the other muscle meats you're feeding aren't low in taurine (like rabbit or chicken breasts)that it should provide enough for a cats needs. Mine gets a chicken heart almost every day, but that's mostly because he loooves them and they're snack sized.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Fri Apr 26, '13 7:21am PST 
Greebo is right - hearts are not a necessity. They're just another muscle meat and as long as you're feeding dark meat poultry or red meat, which are both high in taurine, you don't need hearts. However, if sourcing is a problem in your area you might have trouble locating the "other" secreting organ besides liver. Can you get kidneys?
[notify]

Tinker Bell- 2003-2006

Purred: Fri Apr 26, '13 1:55pm PST 
I've been having trouble sourcing organs other than liver with my dog lately. Was never a problem in the past, but now the stores rarely stock any organ besides liver. I was recently able to find pork brains, but those are high in fat, so not the best. I'll probably have to get more organs from MPC as well.
Or, I can buy frozen feeder mice at the pet store. That's a very inexpensive option. Not sure it'd work just to get organs, though, since it's whole prey?
Hm...are they a good source of taurine?

Edited by author Fri Apr 26, '13 1:57pm PST

[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sat Apr 27, '13 4:58am PST 
If you're going to get feeder mice and your cat will eat them, you should just feed them as a complete meal.

As for organs, do you have any ethnic groceries nearby? Or a butcher? Or a farmer's market?
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Sat Apr 27, '13 5:34am PST 
Have you explored ordering from hare-today.com? I know that you said that another supplier wouldn't work for you, but maybe this would be better? They are in Pennsylvania.
[notify]

Tinker Bell- 2003-2006

Purred: Tue Apr 30, '13 6:56am PST 
Don't think so. There's several grocery stores, and then there's a meat store. I can ask the meat store to order specific things, but if they want me to buy the whole case, I wouldn't have the freezer space for it.

I'll look into hare-today. Thanks. smile
[notify]

Tinker Bell- 2003-2006

Purred: Thu May 9, '13 5:07am PST 
I may be able to find chicken hearts at Wal-Mart or Winn Dixie, possibly.
Shipping from either hare-today or MPC doesn't look very doable on a regular basis. We've talked about possibly going a ways out of town to find some stores that sell more organs, might have to do that.

If full raw isn't doable in this case, I would like to go with at least partial raw.
[notify]

Tinker Bell- 2003-2006

Purred: Thu May 9, '13 11:01pm PST 
Another thing I've been meaning to ask--is there anything I need to know about feeding raw to a kitten, since they're growing and all?
I think with puppies you feed 10% of their expected adult weight and avoid too much calcium. Is it about the same with kittens? At any rate, I'm not confident that I really remember this clearly.
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Fri May 10, '13 4:16am PST 
As far as I know, and this is what I did, the rule is to feed a kitten as much food as they can pack away. Don't feed a lot at once, feed many smaller meals, but adjust for size as they get older; i.e. older kittens can eat a lot more at once than younger kittens. Just keep an eye on them to make sure they aren't gaining too much weight, but never put them on a "diet". Unless you know the kitten's parents, you don't really know how large they will get. Kittens and most adult cats are very good at self regulating with raw food. It's the cats that get food, like kibble, left out all day for them that usually end up with the weight problems.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4