GO!

Transitioning Bing

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Bing

Purred: Tue Apr 23, '13 8:54am PST 
I need some hand-holding on transitioning my cats feed to raw. I am invested and determined in this. I am using the recipes on catnutrition.org and catinfo.org and even some of the tips. My cats are on canned food and had kibble out to supplement. I have removed the kibble and am mixing the raw recipe into the canned. Bing is not going for it. He won't even eat the canned food if it is mixed. As there is no more kibble, I do give a few dehydrated liver snacks to get him through the day and night. He is hungry but still not hungry enough to give it a try. I like the EVO coating suggestion. I will have to look into that. My old girl is not too pleased but is at least eating the canned food part. Bing's buddy Brio is doing well. He is not only eating it mixed with canned food but he even ate an entire bowl of raw recipe alone. I am worried that Bing may be too stupid to handle this transition. Bear in mind, it has only been a couple of days. I am hoping hunger will prevail but I will not fast them. Any encouragement or suggestions are welcome!
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Wed Apr 24, '13 1:50pm PST 
Here's my best advice in a nutshell: it's not a race. Let Bing take as long as he needs. Start with a tiny speck of raw mixed into his canned. When he gets used to that, put in two specks of raw. Get resigned to the fact that one of your cats may take *months* to switch, but your other ones are moving along and you can celebrate the good thing you're doing for all of them!
[notify]

Bing

Purred: Thu Apr 25, '13 11:54am PST 
Thanks BK. I just keep telling myself that I am doing the right thing and that they won't starve but they will be annoyingly hungry most of the time. I have added a third feeding at bedtime to get them through the night. I am determined though, that they have seen the end of dry food except for dehydrated liver and chicken treats. Thanks for the support!
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Thu Apr 25, '13 2:05pm PST 
You may also want to consider that maybe Bing just doesn't like ground raw, but would like chunks of raw meat. My cats are not very crazy about ground raw at all, although I can usually get them to eat the ground beef mix from hare-today. Why not try giving him a few tiny slices off of whatever raw meat you happen to be getting ready to cook the next time your are cooking? Put it on top of his food or give it to him as a treat.

Also, not all cats like all protein sources. I have one cat that refuses beef, one cat that refuses venison, and none of them are crazy about chicken thighs. So if your catinfo recipe is made from chicken, it might be the chicken that is the problem.

Good luck, and play around to see if you can find something he does like.
[notify]