GO!

Freeze Dried Raw Suggestions?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Purred: Sat Jan 26, '13 12:25am PST 
I currently live in an area where I can't purchase a frozen raw diet so I'd like to order a freeze dried option online. I have six cats(ages 6 months-16 years) and they currently eat premium canned food. One of my cats has mild(sometimes his levels are normal) kidney disease and I'd like to find a brand that would be ideal for him(ie; lower phosphorus). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently looking at Stella and Chewy's as well as Primal(I've used the frozen version before).
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sat Jan 26, '13 5:33am PST 
Water is important for kidney health as well as general body health smile If you feed freee dried food, you really should rehydrate it in water before serving. Otherwise, just add extra water to the canned food to make up for the dry reeze dried raw.

Stella and Chewy's and Primal Pet are the only two freeze dried brands that I am aware of that are complete diets. Many other brands, even bigger name brands like Nature's Variety, are only supplemental foods shrug So be sure to read the label.

Primal Pet is too expensive, over $30 for a 14 oz bag eek I suggest buying Stella and Chewy's instead. A 12 oz bag of the nuggets is about $20. The pouched ones are like single serve 3 oz can when rehydrated.

Frozen raw food can be ordered online. Have you looked into that? OnlyNaturalPet.com is one place that has frozen raw food as well as freeze dried. Feline's Pride is one brand where you can buy directly from the company.

Some non-chain pet stores will special order food for you. Do you have any in your area? Just ask the store manager smile

Is making your own raw food an option? Some people follow a recipie, such as the one at Catinfo.org. Others do the frankenprey model which is 80% muscle meat 10% bone 10% organs. Some use a pre-muxh liek TC Instinct with raw meat.
[notify]