GO!

questions about raw diet

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Purred: Thu Nov 15, '12 4:59pm PST 
Hi all! I am new here and a new mommy to a 6 week old kitten named Kit. We got her almost a week ago. The mom refused to feed them so they all went to new homes. She had been eating 9 Lives kibble and I was given a bag of it to take home. When I gave it to her, she started choking so I went and bought the best canned food I could find, which she loved (I did try to wet the 9 Lives and she wouldn't touch it). I have been researching raw diets and thought that since she's so young she'd take to it right away.

I used the recipe found on catinfo.org (Lisa Pierson, DVM)and was able to find everything but the taurine. Today I made a batch using 1 pound chicken hearts and gizzards to make up for the lack of taurine. Other than that, I followed the recipe exactly. My husband is not convienced that the "raw" won't make her sick so I lightly baked the chicken (she said it was ok to do that but didn't specify how long so I did 15 minutes).

My questions are:
1. Should I search for taurine or is the addition of hearts and gizzards enough?

2. How long should I bake it if my hubby still resists?

3. I don't have a grinder so I couldn't give her bones. What can I do until I can afford a grinder so she gets the calcium?

4. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive grinder?

Thanks in advance. Feel free to give me any advice or tell me if I did anything wrong...
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sat Nov 17, '12 10:20am PST 
Welcome to the raw forum - let me try to help!

1. You should keep an eye out for taurine but you're fine for a while without it and adding hearts and gizzards is a good step. The more urgent matter is calcium - please don't go too long without giving her bones.

2. Can you tell your husband you baked it and not actually do it? It's actually much better for her if you leave it raw. Her system was designed to deal with raw meat and with any bacteria that might be on it. Once you add bones to the mix you won't be able to cook it either.

3. Have you considered doing what we call Frankenprey? Kittens take to it easily and you can avoid the cost of the grinder. You just feed a variety of proteins in the following proportions: 80% muscle meat, 10% bones, 5% liver and 5% other secreting organ. These proportions don't need to be each meal, you can do it over the course of a week or so. Then you don't even need to add supplements and can save even more money. You could start her on small bones like chicken/hen ribs so she builds up jaw strength until she can chew things like wings and necks. This means you can (and should) also give her different kinds of meat - beef, turkey, rabbit, lamb, etc. The bones from those might be too big but you can mix things up - a chicken neck and some beef is fine.

4. If you're not ready to try that, maybe you could ask a butcher to grind you a whole chicken with the bones and organs included? I just wouldn't go too long without including bones in her diet somehow. You can add powdered calcium I believe, but it's best when it comes as real bones.
[notify]

Purred: Sat Nov 17, '12 1:17pm PST 
Thanks for the response! I talked to my husband and his concern is her taking the raw meat elsewhere to eat it and then having bacteria all around the house. We tried to give her a raw chicken wing this morning and she just looked at it and didn't eat anything. My dog, however, grabbed it and ran (didn't eat it but dropped it in a few places, hence how I found out my husbands fears). I think, at the moment, I will try to find a butcher to grind it all for me. Like you, I am fearful about the lack of calcium. I'm going to make another batch today and put all the raw meat in the food processor without cooking it and not say anything to the hubby (he doesn't feed her anyways). Until I find a butcher that can grind a whole chicken (or rabbit, etc) I will add some human grade bonemeal. I was able to find taurine at a vitamin store so other than the bones, I think everything else is good.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sun Nov 18, '12 5:45am PST 
Sounds like you're off to a good start! My two are good about keeping their food in one place (granted, one of the places is my coffee table, but hey) but I have had fosters grab bones and run. If you don't have a kitchen door you can close to confine them, it might be more difficult. I've heard of people putting down towels at feeding times but I think the easiest is a tile floor or washable surface. Anyway, now that you've got the bonemeal and taurine you're set until you can find what you need. Good luck!
[notify]