GO!

Poop issues with raw food?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Wed Oct 17, '12 6:34pm PST 
Human feeds her cats Nature's Variety raw food. Leroy sometimes has blood streaked poopshock He eats mostly the beef one, sometimes duck. Can undigested bone fragments irritate the body as the poop comes out? thinking
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Thu Oct 18, '12 12:47pm PST 
I'm sure that it is possible that undigested sharp shards of bone could tear the rectum on the way out; do you see any bone in the poop? Isn't NV raw Instinct supposed to be a bit heavy on the bone? Even so, I wouldn't think that something like this would happen very often.

What does the blood look like? Is it fresh looking, red, blood? Then it is from the lower digestive tract. If it's dark, or somewhat "tar-like" it is from higher up in the digestive tract. Either way, it isn't normal! Have you spoken to your vet?

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Thu Oct 18, '12 6:33pm PST 
Picture of poop

In this case, it was sort of fresh red blood shrug Leroy's butt looks fine after having one of these bloody poop pieces shrug Dirty because he doesn't clean himself shrug but otherwise fine.

Human mentioned it to the vet once but he said it was nothing to worry about shrug
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Fri Oct 19, '12 10:00am PST 
My Callie had this happen occasionally on a homemade ground raw diet until I added some chopped muscle meat. The ground raw, although technically perfectly balanced since it was just whole ground animals from Hare-Today, just made her poop TOO dry and irritated her I think. Once I added some chopped meat to the mix she was fine. My guess is you're having the same problem - too much bone making the poop too dry.
[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Fri Oct 19, '12 4:49pm PST 
Leroy does sometimes grunt and push trying to get the poop out thinking Maybe his poop is a little too dry thinking They do come out moist-looking shrug Emma eats the same raw food, alternating between chicken, beef and duck, and she doesn't have any poop issues shrug Maybe Human should feed Leroy more duck and less beef to see if that helps and/or add some fresh raw meat? thinking
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sat Oct 20, '12 9:19pm PST 
I find that although you need to follow the 80/10/5/5 guidelines you might have to fine tune for every cat. They're all a little different. Sometimes I can't seem to give BK enough bone but Callie seems to need less. Play with it a little - what works for one doesn't always work for another.
[notify]

Jimmy

Purred: Wed Oct 31, '12 9:05pm PST 
Er my cat's food is what I eat, like pizza Bread fish or sometimes I bought some Cat Food for him. laugh out loudlaugh out loud
[notify]