GO!

Need help choosing types of meat to feed my kitten

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Purred: Sun Jun 17, '12 12:14am PST 
Hi! I have a kitten around 4 months old and I just started him on a raw fed diet. Right now he is eating a mixture of rabbit, buffalo, quail, pork and duck from a raw food supplier that already comes grounded up with the 80,10,5,5 percentage.

But he's eating twice as much as he used to when he was on grain-free canned and I cannot afford paying 56 dollars for 10 lbs of that mixture.

I'm thinking of going for a cheaper combination of meats at half the price (chicken, turkey, pork & beef) but I still want to include one or two of the current meats into his diet.

My question is, which meats should I still include in my kitten's diet apart from the cheaper combination?

Rabbit, quail, buffalo or duck?
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sun Jun 17, '12 1:02pm PST 
It's more important to have a variety of protein than any specific one. So when money is a consideration, go with the cheapest! You've already got a good mix with your "cheap" meats. If they're the same price, I'd pick the one he likes the best.
[notify]

Mr. Softee

Purred: Thu Jun 21, '12 8:21am PST 
Cats are raw fed a bit differently than dogs. The bone requirements for cats is less - more like 5-7%. Cats need more dark meat for the taurine. So, that being said, I feed my two cats beef heart, pork, rabbit, and occasionaly chicken. For organs they love pig brains (yeah, I know...eeww), chicken liver, beef liver. I get beef hearts for about $6 a piece and they weigh about 5-6 lbs each. Pork is also pretty cheap - I paid $18 for an 12 lb roast. The wild rabbits are $7 a piece, but one will last me about 2-3 weeks. It's hard to figure cost for each cat because I am also feeding my dog the same stuff.
The feeding schedule is meat and organs 5 days a week, then bony meals 2 days a week. The bony meals are what the chicken necks and rabbit are for.
Cats need variety or they can get stuck in a rut and only think one food is safe to eat. (took forever to get my cats to eat pork at first).
Good Luck!
[notify]