GO!

Stupid Beginner Questions

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Wed Mar 28, '12 3:04pm PST 
No, I am not totally switching to raw, mol, even tho, my vet would prefer I do, but I would like to at least get my feet wet, per say, and give them some every few days, as an alternitive, per say.

Can I buy a boneless chicken breast or boneless pork chop, or a beef type, at the grocery store, in the meat dept, and give them that?

If I can, do I give it to them raw raw, as in, not cooked, or do I cook it, and if I cook it, how, do I cook it?

How much, should I give them?

Bump loves his chicken baby foodies, and he loves his chicken freeze dried special snackies, and thats what made me think of it.

I can't do the guts stuff and I can't bring in live mouseys, those, would turn into toys, which is what Bump thought the kittens were, when they came home at 8 weeks old. Thanks ma, toys that moves by theirselfs, ah no, they isn't toys. laugh out loudwaveway to gohug
[notify]

Allen

Just one of- Auntie Crazy's- crew.

Purred: Wed Mar 28, '12 4:40pm PST 
Of course you can feed your cat snacks of pure meat you picked up from the grocery store. And, no, you don't need to cook it. (Cooking it would destroy many of the nutrients that make raw meat so darn healthy!)

The only two points to remember are: *Don't* feed more than 15% of the diet as plain raw meat *unless* you're ready to start balancing that meat with bone-in meals and organs, and be very careful none of the meat you buy has been enhanced with any type of broth or spice. Look for labels like "more flavorful," "juicier," "enhanced," etc. The added spices on these meats can wreak all sorts of havoc on a cat's digestive system, so check everything - even if it's something you bought before.

Best regards.

Auntie Crazy
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Thu Mar 29, '12 4:44pm PST 
Hey Bump! Whenever I make chicken, I snip a few bites for the boys. I haven't tried any other meat for them though, but Tigger really loves chicken - it takes them a while to chew & gnaw it, so it is good for teeth too. We are not jumping headfirst into raw either, and it was weird at first to give them a chunk of raw meat....wave But def watch for the "enhanced" meat. I inadvertently got some chicken breast like tht, and made sure not to give them any. Gee ya can't even get plain meat without reading labels!
[notify]

Wallace - My Little- Angel

The A-durable- Wallace

Purred: Fri Mar 30, '12 1:01pm PST 
I just tried this for the first time (snipped some chicken pieces off before I cooked it) and Wallace LOVES it!!!!!!! You were right, it did take a while to chew. Newton didn't even act like it was food but Wallace was like, "More for me, then!!" I'm so surprised! I guess raw meat is still weird for me to wrap my mind around. They've never had it before. They have Blue Wilderness, but this is definitely some food for thought. wink
[notify]