GO!

butcher was mean, mean butcher :((

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
bed- Snatchers

we steal bed- space.

Purred: Fri Feb 24, '12 12:16pm PST 
mommy finally had time to go to the butcher today and see if she can strike up a deal about buying meat in bulk, this is the butcher who actually kills his own meat (for the most part anyway), and butcher said i can give you a bit of a discount on meat that i buy that is already cut (meat that he gets frozen) but he was unwilling at all to talk about the live meat he has in the back, meat that includes more then just chicken but rabbit and quail and all the good stuff. he was willing to give her alot of bone which had little meat on it... but mommy knows alot of bone is not good, :-(
mommy left feeling very discouraged. he is the only butcher she knows in the city, and without a car she can't really start searching for butchers in other cities or in states near by.

mommy is seriously considering getting us back to dry, we don't want to and just the thought of it makes mommy wanna cry cause she can tell how much we love eating our meat every morning and evening.

BK mommy knows she promised to send you a message and she will now that she is on spring break. she's actually gonna have time to contact you and talk to you.
[notify]

Amber

I didn't do it!

Purred: Fri Feb 24, '12 7:02pm PST 
I would like to say that while meat from a grocery store may not be ideal, it is still much better quality than the meat found in most commercial foods. Is quality/freshness of meat the reason you want to source your meat from a butcher?
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sat Feb 25, '12 5:03am PST 
I wonder why he wouldn't sell you his raised meat? That is so strange. What if you wanted to buy whole chickens or rabbits, he wouldn't do it?
[notify]

bed- Snatchers

we steal bed- space.

Purred: Mon Feb 27, '12 2:26am PST 
Hey sorry for the late respond
it has been a crazy weekend.

for your questions:
Amber, the answer is yes. quality and freshness were the reason i wanted to get my meat from the butcher.

BK: he said because he has to actually kill the chicken he was unwilling to consider giving me a discount on the live ones.

i am trying in every place i know. i am actually gonna try and talk to somebody at my school (i am a student at johnson and wales) and see if maybe i can buy my meat from them, or something like that. i just need to figure out who to talk to.
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Tue Feb 28, '12 7:29am PST 
Sorry that you are having a problem!frown

I just wanted to say that it would be better to buy that grocery store meat than to feed kibble (in case you were serious about that). I feed mostly grocery store meat with no problems. In the summer we have a farmer's market where I can buy meat from locally pasture raised animals, but the rest of the year that isn't an option.

Purrs,
Shade's mom
[notify]

bed- Snatchers

we steal bed- space.

Purred: Tue Feb 28, '12 8:23am PST 
that's what i do, i buy grocery store meat but the prices are starting to kill me! i spend close to 150$ on meat this month for the cats, mind you 5 cats but still..
that triple what i paid for the dry kibble (50$ bag of orijan cat food- which is considered one of the best dry kibble foods out there as it has 80% actual meat and bone in it. 20% veggies.

i'm just getting really overwhelmed with the cost. this was supposed to be cheeper.
[notify]

Mr. Softee

Purred: Tue Feb 28, '12 1:51pm PST 
Sorry you're having such a problem! I'm really amazed you spend $150 a month! Have you done any research to see if you have a local poultry , pig, cattle farm?
[notify]

bed- Snatchers

we steal bed- space.

Purred: Tue Feb 28, '12 5:49pm PST 
a little, there's a few in RI not alot, it's not a big state you know, but.. i don't have a car which makes it hard for me to drive there and buy it. thinking
i'm thinking that maybe temporary i will put them back on dry as i try to find a new way to buy dry. but what i am afraid of is that lucky, the one i had trouble transferring in the first place, will give me a hard time when i'll try to get them back on raw.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Wed Feb 29, '12 4:40am PST 
Oh, it would be terrible to put them back on dry if there's any way to avoid it. $150 sounds like an awful lot. Is that bulk buying whatever is on sale each week? I don't see how it can cost that much.
[notify]

bed- Snatchers

we steal bed- space.

Purred: Wed Feb 29, '12 5:55am PST 
it is bulk, as bulk as my freezer can handle. i posted in a different forum the amounts i pay give or take.
I just bought 9 whole chicken each about 6ib in weight, and some packaged chicken thighs (about 5 packages each contain about 9-12 thighs). those were the two items on sale paid about 60$ for them. it will last me for about two weeks maybe.
and i have yet ti find other organs besides liver,
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2