GO!

dangers of raw and kibble

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mr. Softee

Purred: Tue Jan 24, '12 11:19am PST 
I started on raw about 2 weeks ago and have been doing great! The other cat, Bandit (no pic yet) is older and is being stubborn, so I have been leaving the kibble available. Softee generally has his raw in the am, nibbles on kibble throughout the day, then gets a raw dinner at night. He's young and thin so I'm not worried about weight gain, but someone mentioned you shouldn't do this because of a bacteria issue. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks!
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Tue Jan 24, '12 3:08pm PST 
Hi, welcome to the raw forum!

Ok, this is the reasoning. Kibble moves through the digestive system at a very slow rate because of it's almost total lack of moisture and the carbohydrate content; I forget the exact amount of time, but it's something like 10 - 12 hours. Raw meat, on the other hand, because of it's high moisture content, and because a cat is programmed to digest meat protein, moves fairly quickly through the digestive system.

The raw meat we feed our cats is probably never completely free of bacteria. These bacteria don't normally pose a problem though because of the very acidic nature of a cat's stomache (~pH of 2) and because the raw meat is processed so quickly. The problem then with feeding kibble prior to feeding raw meat is that the raw meat, along with any bacteria present, will no longer be able to move quickly through the gut.

Also, the pH of the stomache increases as a cat is fed a diet higher in carbohydrates. This can result in two things. One, with a higher pH, bacteria have less of a chance of being destroyed. Two, the digestive enzymes in the stomache only work in a very acidic environment, so the raw food is not properly broken down and more of it will pass through your cat without being utilitzed.

This has a much more detailed explanation, http://feline-nutrition.org/answers/answers-feed-raw-and-dry-at-the- same-time

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

Mr. Softee

Purred: Tue Jan 24, '12 6:37pm PST 
So how do I handle this situation? One cat raw, the other refusing? Bandit is a bit overweight so I can't let him go without eating. He won't even tough canned food (he does love lunchmeat though).
[notify]

Shade

Purred: Wed Jan 25, '12 4:20am PST 
The first thing you must do is stop free feeding the kibble and establish mealtimes. No cat is going to be hungry enough to attempt eating something unfamiliar if he has constant access to the food he likes. So put down the kibble 2 or 3 times a day for a set amount of time and then take it up again. Bandit will not starve and he will learn that food is not constantly available.

For transitioning from kibble to canned food read:
http://feline-nutrition.org/answers/answers-transitioning-you r-finicky-kitties

and

http://catinfo.org/docs/Tips%20for%20Tra nsitioning%20PDF%201-14-11.pdf

Good luck!

Shade
[notify]

Daisy Angel

Pretty girl!

Purred: Thu Jan 26, '12 9:04am PST 
We eat Stella & Chewy's Freeze Dried Raw or Natures Variety Frozen Raw at night (7 PM). At bedtime (10 PM) we get about 10 kibble of a grain free dry food. Is this dangerous or not good for digestion? What would be a better treat for us - we really look forward to it?

We sometimes have issues with constipation/diarrhea and wonder if this might be causing it?
[notify]

Finnegan- (Finney)

I am a- CARNIVORE! Not a- Cornivore!

Purred: Thu Jan 26, '12 9:34am PST 
I'd be willing to bet that's the cause or at least a big part of it. That's way too close together. They shouldn't be fed within 12 hours AT LEAST of each other. Inconvenient I know but it's really not safe to do that as Shade said. Can't you feed some kibble in the early morning and then the raw at night? At least that's better distance. If you can't maybe you need to separate them during feeding if that's possible. You can also look at this page of my website on switching foods: http://ibdkitties.net/switchingfoods.html.
[notify]

Daisy Angel

Pretty girl!

Purred: Thu Jan 26, '12 1:11pm PST 
What treats would be safe to eat within 3 hours of having raw food? We just eat the grain free dry food as a treat because most treats have ingredients in Daisy can't eat, due to allergies and food intolerances.
[notify]

Pookie

Psycho-kitty

Purred: Thu Jan 26, '12 1:26pm PST 
Pookie LOVES the PureBites treats cloud 9. They're freeze-dried meat and nothing else -- no preservatives, additives, just meat that's been freeze-dried. They're available in chicken, ocean whitefish, beef liver, shrimp and duck. The duck is only available for dogs but I buy it because you get more for your money, which is true of the other treats as well. way to go
[notify]

Daisy Angel

Pretty girl!

Purred: Thu Jan 26, '12 3:37pm PST 
Thanks Pookie, we will give those a try. I like the different flavors available. We have five kitties to satisfy.

I am glad we learned about this issue, hopefully we can get their tummies feeling better!
[notify]

Shade

Purred: Fri Jan 27, '12 3:51am PST 
Pure Bites treats are really yummy! Also, onlynaturalpet.com sells their own brand of freeze dried meat treats. The favorite at our house is the bison.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2