GO!

Is a kitten ever too young to start a raw diet?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Lily

I am the queen- of stubborn!

Purred: Sat Sep 24, '11 7:09pm PST 
Hi there,

I have recently taken in a disabled kitten, named Micki, about 5-6 weeks old (don't have a page or pic of him up on catster yet, but he's a cutie).

His back legs are malformed - he can move them, but he cannot stand on them. His front legs seem to be all right, and he pulls himself around using them. His stomach and back legs drag when he crawls, but he does use his toes to help propel himself a little bit.

He is mostly eating canned food - he had no interest in the bottle, though he did drink formula from a dish. Our biggest problem right now is that he has diarrhea. I am not sure yet if he is incontinent, but it's very likely. The diarrhea is irritating his legs - I bathe him usually twice a day to help but he's getting angry and impatient with that!

I have another special needs girl who has some control, but she cannot close her anus completely. When she had diarrhea it was a nightmare. Feeding her a raw diet fixed that almost immediately. So I am hopeful a raw diet will get his poop solid and we can get the irritation stopped.

So after all of that... my question is if he is too young to start feeding a raw diet - if he'll eat it. I've never fed it to one this little.

Also - this is OT for this forum - but if anyone has advice on diapering a kitten this small... would you message me? I still need to protect his tummy and little... er, pee pee... as he crawls around.

Thanks in advance...!
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Sun Sep 25, '11 5:52am PST 
If your kitten is old enough to eat solid food, then he's old enough to eat raw. After all, in the "wild" a mom cat brings back mice, birds, etc., not a can of food, right? big grin So, if you feel he is old enough, try.

I would just cut up any meat and organs into very small pieces and only feed really small bones and even break them up so that they are very tiny, or you could try ground meat/bones/organs and then you don't have to worry about the size of the pieces. If he's just transitioning from milk to solid food, you can mix some raw into the milk just like you would with canned.

I'm sorry that I don't have any ideas of how to help you with the diaper thing, but I want to say that you are a very kind person to take care of this kitten!!!

Best wishes,
Shade's mom
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sun Sep 25, '11 9:28am PST 
Oh, he sounds adorable - I can't wait to see pictures! There's really nothing like special needs kitties. I'm going to agree with Shade - if he'll eat raw, go for it. I don't know much about diapers but I guess even preemie diapers will be too big. You're going to have to make something yourself I think. Maybe you can cut larger diapers down to fit?
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Sun Sep 25, '11 4:00pm PST 
Check it out! This might help you with the diaper thing. It's an excellent instructional: converting a baby diaper to pet diaper
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Sep 25, '11 5:06pm PST 
You can look into a wheelchair for the kitten. On the Catster News page is an article about a an adopted cat who uses a wheelchair, http://blogs.catster.com/kitty-news-network/2011/09/19/twisty-legged-cat-pays-it-forward/ The Human also makes crochet leggings for disabled pets to wear. If you Google "pet wheelchairs" you'll get several web sites. Eddie's Wheels is one well known company.

There are diapers for incontinent and spraying dogs. Maybe you can look into that thinking
[notify]

Lily

I am the queen- of stubborn!

Purred: Mon Sep 26, '11 8:42pm PST 
Thank you all for your suggestions. Unfortunately, as kittens will sometimes do, especially fragile ones like Micki... his health took a bad turn very quickly over the past day and a half. He is now at the bridge, hopefully running and playing like he never could have done here. cry
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Tue Sep 27, '11 3:36am PST 
Oh, we are so sorry! But, as you said, he is now running and jumping and causing kitten trouble at the bridge.

Hugs.hug

Shade's mom
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Tue Sep 27, '11 5:30am PST 
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this. At least at the bridge he can run and play like all the other kitties. Sending purrs to you and your family for trying to help this little one.
[notify]

Lola

Proud mother of- the Fab Four!

Purred: Tue Oct 11, '11 5:45am PST 
So sorry for your loss.

Edited by author Tue Oct 11, '11 5:50am PST

[notify]