GO!

With 1/2 canned how important is bone?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Stella

Everyone visits- to see me and- only me!

Purred: Sun Aug 7, '11 1:27pm PST 
I want to feed Stella 1/2 canned and half Raw. She has been eating raw as a treat while I cut it up. BUT I can not get her to eat any bone. She just will not bite down but she is missing a few teeth so I think that does not help her any either. If she is getting half canned how important is the bone?
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sun Aug 7, '11 1:36pm PST 
I'm sorry to say it's still important. There's a couple of things you could try. One is ground raw where the bone is ground so she doesn't have to chew it. The other is something like Alnutrin with calcium. In your case I would add the Alnutrin to the canned food, so she could just eat plain raw meat with no bone for her other meal.
[notify]

Olivia,- Tanner, &- Finn

The Dyna Cats!

Purred: Sun Aug 7, '11 2:43pm PST 
What BK said. The half of the diet that is raw still has to be balanced, and the bone is key, albeit small, part of that. If you feel that she CAN'T eat bone because of her dental situation, you could feed ground raw (either grind it yourself or buy a balanced ground mix).
[notify]

Stella

Purred: Sun Aug 7, '11 4:13pm PST 
I thought so. Daisy my dog eats 1/2 raw and 1/2 kibble so I know that it still needs to be balanced. I was just hoping. I cant afford a grinder and where I am from good luck being able to buy ground mix anywhere mol! Where can I find this Alnutrin stuff? I was so happy when she started eating raw when Id make the others meals up. Worst comes to worse feeding raw as a snack is something nice for her at least to.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Aug 7, '11 4:55pm PST 
You can buy Alnutrin from here: http://www.knowwhatyoufeed.com/alnutrin_supplements.html

You could also use a pre-mix with the raw meat. TC Feline and Better In The Raw are two brands you can buy. The pre-mix contains all the necessary vitamins and minerals.
[notify]

Stella

Purred: Sun Aug 7, '11 6:27pm PST 
So I just add Alnutrin to her morning canned food then I can feed her raw meal at supper all balanced minus the bone? If that is so I am thinking I might order that.
[notify]

Stella

Purred: Sun Aug 7, '11 6:43pm PST 
http://www.rawforpets.net/id1.html
What do you guys think of this product and it is canadian which is easier for me to get? I emailed them some questions. If it is affordable then all my pets can get raw full time including the two pains Boston and Sasha!
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Mon Aug 8, '11 4:13am PST 
I'm sorry Stella, but I would never feed that. At 40% vegetables, that's 40% that your cat can't use/digest. I think the Alnutrin is a better bet.

And I'm sure you know this, but please be careful with the raw and kibble that you're feeding the dogs. The same rules apply - a minimum of 12 hours between the two so that the raw doesn't get backed up behind the kibble. Just felt like I had to mention that.
[notify]

Stella

Purred: Mon Aug 8, '11 5:46am PST 
Thanks I think I will order that supplement then. Ya there are a few dogsters that feed 1/2 kibble and half raw and I talked to them about it alot before doing it the one has been on this diet for a long time and every dog is different but 6-8 hours is what they do. Mine is closer to 10 beween the two meals. Daisy has been eating this for almost a year now. When I feed her 100% raw it does not agree with her for some reason and she gets sick.
[notify]

Stella

Purred: Mon Aug 8, '11 7:14am PST 
Sorry for all of the questions but I found a grinder for 60 bucks I want to look into. http://www.a-house-full-of-cats.com/catfoodrecipes.html
If this is the route Id go with this is a good recipe to follow? Does it work for dogs to?
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3