GO!

Where do you get your non-liver secreting organs?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Karela

Purr-meow?

Purred: Sun Aug 7, '11 12:07pm PST 
Just wondering where everyone finds their non-liver secreting organs? I can get chicken livers and the natural grocery we go to sometimes has grass-fed pork and beef livers, but I've been hard pressed to find anything else (other than heart and gizzards, neither of which "count").

I was thinking that Whole Foods might at least have sweetbreads or something, but I went to 2 stores including a huge flagship store and they didn't even have livers!

I can get pork kidneys from an Asian grocery nearby, but I am dubious about the quality. There are also a couple of live-meat stores around but again, the quality makes me nervous.

Just wondering what everyone else does and where you get your offal. TIA!
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sun Aug 7, '11 1:27pm PST 
Do you have a Greenmarket or farmer's market anywhere near? I can get kidneys (beef and lamb) from my Greenmarket and sweetbreads from a specialty butcher I found. But I would love another option since BK is refusing kidney and I worry that just sweetbreads might not be enough. I asked about spleen from the lady at the GM that sells the lamb and she said she can't sell it for human consumption but might be able to sell it as pet food. She was supposed to call me if she had any but I haven't heard from her. I'm curious about any other options anyone could recommend.
[notify]

Olivia,- Tanner, &- Finn

The Dyna Cats!

Purred: Sun Aug 7, '11 2:46pm PST 
I'm in the same boat - I can get beef/calf and chicken livers all day long but had a hard time finding kidney or OSO. So what I do is order them online, either from Hare Today or US Wellness Meats. I buy enough for four or five months or so when I order, and I can get pork, lamb, and beef kidneys, which I rotate.
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Mon Aug 8, '11 4:10am PST 
I guess I'm lucky. I have a local specialty grocery store that almost always has beef kidney and if I'm lucky I can get lamb kidney also. However, I've never seen any other organ in any store around here except, of course, liver. I go the hare-today route also.
[notify]

Mo

Save Plants - Let Me Eat- Meat!!!

Purred: Mon Aug 8, '11 8:35am PST 
Safeway orders whatever I want for me. But, it helps that the typical person who orders it for me, feeds her dog rawsmile
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Mon Aug 8, '11 9:46am PST 
Mo, is there something else that you CAN order besides kidney? I don't know what else to try.
[notify]

Mo

Save Plants - Let Me Eat- Meat!!!

Purred: Thu Aug 11, '11 6:29pm PST 
They main thing I order from them is kidney, I haven't asked what else they can get. They have, however, had sweetbreads in stock before, but they were way above my price range, especially since I can get them some where else for 1/4 of the price!
[notify]

Amber

I didn't do it!

Purred: Fri Aug 12, '11 11:39pm PST 
I personally have never seen secreting organs other than liver and kidney in the local grocery stores around here.
[notify]