GO!

Warming up raw...

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Dash

Hunter of the- Butterfly

Purred: Sun Apr 24, '11 1:22pm PST 
... obviously I'm not talking about the microwave winkI've been putting the cut up pieces of raw in a ziplock and letting it sit in warm water for 10 minutes to heat it up a bit to "body temp." I've read somewhere that giving cats cold food will make them throw it up once it hits their stomachs. Is this true? It's just that it would be so much easier if I could give it to them after I take it out of the fridge and cut it up. It will be slightly warm than just from the fridge because of the handling required and the heat transfer from my fingers. The other reason I want to speed this up is that Dash will start to have his slight muscle spasms when he is waiting for the food. He just gets so excited and cannot wait!
[notify]

Ben

I fetch,- therefore I am.

Purred: Sun Apr 24, '11 10:44pm PST 
Some cats do just fine eating cold food. Some are more sensitive to temperature. I think it depends on the cat.
shrug

The kitties here eat food straight from the refrigerator sometimes, but then I like to rinse their bowls out with hot water beforehand and stir the food around so that it soaks up some of that residual heat.

Mocha

Purred: Mon Apr 25, '11 1:33pm PST 
I warm up Mocha and Kira's food in a ziplock baggie in HOT water. Mocha can't handle cold food, but Kira can. The problem I run into is that they'll switch bowls on me while eating so it's easier to just warm up everyone's food. I've noticed, since feeding raw, that I don't have to get their food quite as warm as I had to get the canned food, but I still err on the side of caution.

Evey cat is different, you just gotta know your beast!
[notify]