GO!

Vomiting

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Oliver

Give me food and- no one gets- hurt!

Purred: Tue Apr 19, '11 8:01pm PST 
Oliver vomits after eating his raw food. Not right after but 10 mins even up to half hour after. Could it be that the pieces of meat is to big? He does this mostly with hearts and sometimes beef and I think the chunks might be to big. Thats is my theory.
[notify]

Mocha

Purred: Tue Apr 19, '11 10:48pm PST 
My understanding is that a lot of cats vomit after eating various types of red meat. The thought is that they're lacking some enzyme to break down the raw meat since the vomiting seems to go away for a lot of them if the meat is cooked.

With Mocha, the slightest bit of red meat (even ground) and she vomits within 5 minutes. With Kira, I can usually do roughly a 50/50 split of red to white meat without any issues.
[notify]

Oliver

Purred: Wed Apr 20, '11 4:03am PST 
Ahhhhhh interesting. Would digestive enzymes work?
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Wed Apr 20, '11 5:23am PST 
I don't know - BK loves red meat and has no problem with it. If it was just the hearts I would guess they were too rich. Try smaller pieces and see what happens. BK does throw up kidney which I eventually stopped feeding. I figure if it keeps coming up, he's trying to tell me something.
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Wed Apr 20, '11 12:39pm PST 
I second what BK said, try smaller pieces 1st before you give up feeding it. All 3 of my cats eat red meat with no problems.

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

Oliver

Purred: Wed Apr 20, '11 4:55pm PST 
Thanks. Snowflake has no problems with anything. Oliver so far it is just beef and beef or pork hearts. I bought some digestive enzymes I am going to sprinkle on his meat and see if that helps to.
[notify]