GO!

Why is my cat craving carbs?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Darjeeling

Purred: Mon Apr 18, '11 3:29pm PST 
Hi everyone - I joined this community to see if I can find some answers to my cat's behavior. She has been on a diet of canned, grain free cat food for the past four months. I feed her a combination of Wellness and EVO. She seems to crave carbs. She scours the kitchen floor for dropped cheerios and bread crumbs. She doesn't seem to be tempted by meat or milk products - only breads, grains and occasionally sugar. Recently, she was on the kitchen counter (a new behavior for her) and instead of eating the meat that was open and available, she ate through the plastic wrap over a container of grains. I wonder if there's a deficiency in her diet that is causing her to go out of her way to find carbs? Any ideas? Thanks so much -
[notify]

Mocha

Purred: Mon Apr 18, '11 4:02pm PST 
It's possible that she could be looking for the sweet taste of sugar. I know that a lot of kibbles include a sugar of some sort in their mix; not sure about canned food.
[notify]

Miss Edith

Oh rly foo?

Purred: Tue Apr 19, '11 12:20pm PST 
Yes! Its a carb deficiency. It's the same effect as when we go on Atkins diet. The body craves what it's missing that was there before. Bread expands in a cat's gut so try not to allow it.
[notify]

Darjeeling

Purred: Tue Apr 19, '11 8:17pm PST 
That's what I suspected - but she only ate dry food for the first six weeks that she spent at the animal shelter. I'm guessing that I should just ignore it at this point - besides trying not to let her get them... Do you think it will eventually go away? So many questions!
[notify]

Chaucer

Purr Bug

Purred: Wed Apr 20, '11 12:52pm PST 
That makes sense, the comparison to the Atkins diet. You'll know if it's true if she gets over it. In the meantime, try to keep the things she craves out of her visual and smelling range if at all possible.

Chaucer is a cat who also seems to really love bread type items. We've had him now for year and four months, raw fed pretty much the entire time (he was cheap kibble only at the shelter), and he still goes after certain items. He used steal microwave pancakes off my daughter's plate and run away with them growling. He hasn't done that in quite a while, so maybe he got over his extreme "need" for carbs. He's still got the taste though. Sunday night he ate the corner off my freshly baked loaf of bread. Grrr...

I hope your kitty resolves her carb issues soon! Don't give in to her.

Purrs,
Chaucer
[notify]

Lacey

Backflips are my- specialty!

Purred: Wed Apr 20, '11 2:10pm PST 
oh my goodness is she cute!! You might try feeding her a different grain free food. Something like Nature's Variety with the Evo would be better for a kitten. Not saying Wellness isn't good, it is. Sometimes though I think it's better for a kitty who has sensitive tummy issues and needs a more bland diet. Try some NV with the Evo and see if she gets filled up more. Mine eat NV, Natural Balance, some Petguard (only the grain free ones) and once in a while Merrick. It could be she's just not getting enough calories for her age. shrug
[notify]