GO!

Feeding an overweight, elderly cat raw?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Mockqua

"Mocha"

Purred: Mon Apr 11, '11 8:51pm PST 
I was thinking today after going to the vet. Mockqua has been eating wet food recently, because she doesn't have a lot of teeth left, and her mouth is sore because of the ones she does have left (I'm trying to save up the money to fix this, but it's not cheap).

She doesn't seem to be agreeing with the food, though. Her coat is in poor condition and she has dry skin. I think she may be allergic to something in it. I've started feeding Twitch in the kitchen now (he eats Costco brand dry food) to keep her out of his food to see if that improves.

But I'm wondering if I should try feeding her raw, and if so, is it possible to grind it up so that she doesn't have to chew it? Can anyone give me some info on raw in general?

She turns fourteen in June, and I don't want to find wrong information and make mistakes with this.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Tue Apr 12, '11 5:32am PST 
Feeding Mockqua a raw diet is probably the best thing you could do for her health, her weight, her skin - everything. But switching an older cat over might be more difficult. No reason not to try however. And yes, you can feed a ground raw diet as long as it's balanced. Here's some basic info I did for Alex's website, but if you need more help feel free to ask:

http://www.ibdkitties.net/rawinstructions.html
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Masters of The- Multiverse

Purred: Tue Apr 12, '11 7:59am PST 
I think Dr, Pierson gives some advice on feeding raw to kitties without teeth. You can also feed the Alnutrin supplement with ground meats and liver.

You get Alnutrin here: knowwhatyoufeed.com the lady who started it is really nice. She answers your emails and everything.

BK introduced me to it. Her and Smudge know errythang!
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Tue Apr 12, '11 1:09pm PST 
I agree with BK, assuming that you can transition her over to it, there would be nothing better for her than raw. First of all, cats are obligate carnivores and meant to eat meat, not grains, not veggies, and not dried out kibble which dehydrates them. Secondly, if it turns out that she is sensitive to something, whether it is a grain or a certain meat, you have total control over her food if you are feeding her raw and don't have to worry about whether fish or wheat or whatever is cross contaminating her food.

Probably ground raw would be the way to go if she has few teeth and her mouth is sensitive, but she might very well be able to handle finely shredded chicken or any meat for that matter.

There are several ways to go with ground raw. 1) You can buy premade raw like Nature's Variety Instinct (http://www.naturesvariety.com/InstinctRaw/cat) which are patties containing meat, bones, organs, and some vegetables. 2) As P&T mentioned you can use your own ground meat and liver and add a pre-mix like Alnutrin to provide the nutrition you would have gotten from bones and extra vitamins. 3) You can use a grinder to grind meat and bones yourself and use a recipe like the one here http://www.catnutrition.org/recipes.html. 4) You can buy ground meat/bones/organs which you can supplement (but don't have to) from a place like hare-today.com.

Read the site that BK gave you as well as catnutrition.org, catinfo.org, and rawfedcats.org.

Please ask any quesitons that you have!

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Purred: Tue Apr 12, '11 6:29pm PST 
I also just last night tried my luck contacting Dr. Lisa Pierson herself. I've had some wicked trouble getting my cats to eat liver. Anyway I sent her an email and within two hours she wrote me back. (She told me she's never seen cats who dont eat liver either haha)

So if you run out of options everywhere, that lady is a wealth of knowledge. She's also very lovely.
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Purred: Tue Apr 12, '11 9:22pm PST 
Smudge = Shade
[notify]