GO!

Mice - some questions

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Penn & Teller

Masters of The- Multiverse

Purred: Sun Apr 10, '11 1:10pm PST 
so okay I'd like to know a few things about mice!

First, how many mice is suitable for say 7 or 8 month old kittens per day?

Where would I get these mice? Can I buy them from a pet store (I'd have to suck it up and kill the mice first myself frown I don't know what else to do!) or do they have to be feeder mice? Y'all know Hare Today charges muh eyeballs in shipping. Although pet store mice may be even more expensive than having them shipped out here!

Mice mice mice I'm wondering if my cats can get their nutrition from the mice or maybe they'd prefer the mice guts to the chicken guts.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Apr 10, '11 5:01pm PST 
Pet stores sell feeder mice for reptiles. They're usually frozen so are easy to feed once thawed. I guess you could buy live mice but how would you humanely euthanize them at home? Not many household cats know what to do with a live mouse other than think it's a toy shrug
[notify]

Patch

Patch - wallpaper- stripper

Purred: Mon Apr 11, '11 3:25am PST 
I do believe you can live feed in USA, but it's against the law here in UK thank God!!

I tried Patch on f/t mice that I got from suppliers I used when I had my snakes and tarantulas (yes tarantulas eat mice and my big ones loves them). It's funny, because Patch had his poo problems after eating 2 fully thawed mice, since I have taken them all off raw foor, he is back to normal. Could have been mice, vet thought so, I say try it, but they obviously don't suit all cats.
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Mon Apr 11, '11 5:18am PST 
Sure, cats can get their nutrition from mice, but it's good to vary the diet a bit.

Anyway, as the others said, you can get feeder mice at most pet stores, even the big chain stores, they are either with the frozen fish food (at least they are in the local PetSmart) or in the reptile section. Buy young mice first, like fuzzies, as larger mice can be overwhelming; Shade and Smudge refused to even touch the large mice I got from H-T once. If your cats decide they just love to eat mice, it is cheaper to place large orders with a place like rodentpro.com than it is to buy small quantities from a pet store.

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Masters of The- Multiverse

Purred: Mon Apr 11, '11 7:30am PST 
Euthanize... mice?
Live feeding illegal?! Whoa whoa whoa what just happened while I was out I thought mice were disease carrying pests (in the wild) that were handled with brooms and the Orkin man! I've only ever seen live mice fed to snakes in my lifetime. I never hung around to watch nature take it's course but you know what I mean. I just have never heard all of this rodent comparison to pets I guess.

I am so country bumpkin I guess! Thanks though for telling me where to get it now I need to know how much to feed when I do get it.
[notify]

Patch

Purred: Mon Apr 11, '11 9:53am PST 
P&T, I am ENGLISH, we have different laws to USA, thank god. I thought your animal protection agaencies had more teeth than our RSPCA!!!!
Feeding live prey is just barbaric!! It's different if they catch them outside or you happen to have a house full of housemice...
[notify]

Mockqua

"Mocha"

Purred: Mon Apr 11, '11 8:55pm PST 
Mice are pets for many people. They make wonderful pets and are very smart and trainable, same with rats.

Some snakes won't eat frozen, so they have no choice but to feed live. But as a general rule, most snake people will feed frozen from what I've seen.

Many pet stores will carry pre-killed frozen mice of different sizes from pinkies (the itty bitty babies) to full grown adults. It's not something they keep out in the open, but if you ask around you'll find somewhere that sells them. They are also cheaper than live mice in most pet stores.

(I am in Canada, however, so I'm not sure if it's the same in the US)
[notify]

Patch

Purred: Mon Apr 11, '11 11:04pm PST 
I adore mice and rats, lovely pets.

However, my snakes were fed f/t mice. You can feed live on the recommendation of your vet and only if the snake will not eat f/t, but you have to have it in writing in case RSPCA come a calling, thats UK law.
[notify]

Mandy

Leave me alone!- I'm trying to- sleep.

Purred: Sat Apr 16, '11 9:11am PST 
First, how many mice is suitable for say 7 or 8 month old kittens per day?

That depends on the weight of your cat and the size of the mice. Typically, you should feed your cat between 2% and 4% of your cat's ideal adult weight, per day. In other words, a ten pound cat would have between 3.2 and 6.4 oz. per day. Then, you divide that by how many meals you feed your cat each day. For mice, they are sold in a variety of sizes - pinky (approx. 1.5 - 3 grams), fuzzy (approx. 3-7 grams), hopper (8-12), weaned (approx. 13-19 grams) and adult (approx. 20-50 grams). Kittens should have up to twice that amount. I'm sure you can find some more specifics for kitten guidelines on this forum. It's been a while since my cats have been kittens.

Where would I get these mice? Can I buy them from a pet store (I'd have to suck it up and kill the mice first myself frown I don't know what else to do!) or do they have to be feeder mice? Y'all know Hare Today charges muh eyeballs in shipping. Although pet store mice may be even more expensive than having them shipped out here!

Like many others have said, many local pet stores will actually sell the mice frozen, particularly stores that also sell reptiles. Many Petco's will sell them but they are extremely expensive. If you have extra room in your freezer it's good to buy them in bulk. Look for a local supplier of feeder mice that sells them wholesale in your area. They can usually sell them in quantities of 25, 50, 100, etc. and they are already dead and frozen. They are much cheaper. If you really have extra freezer space or don't have any wholesalers near you, you can order feeder mice from places such as rodentpro.com or hare-today.com. They are both high-quality, reputable companies. Of course, the shipping costs can be high but it is meant for people who buy large quantities.

Mice mice mice I'm wondering if my cats can get their nutrition from the mice or maybe they'd prefer the mice guts to the chicken guts.

Cats can definitely meet all of their nutritional needs by eating mice. A mouse is a cat's natural prey in the wild and is a complete, balanced meal. Many of the commonly found "recipes" of raw cat food are actually based on the nutritional values provided by a whole mouse. Of course, you always want to rotate the food with any carnivore. Feed a variety of food such as mice, chicken, quail, turkey, etc.

If your cat is new to eating mice, I'd start them slowly to get them adjusted first. Thaw the frozen mice in the fridge for a few hours (in a plastic bag or container, of course) and/or place the bag into a bowl of warm water for 5-10 minutes. If your cat is hesitant, you could slice the mouse into a 2 or three pieces and even add a little flavorful canned food on it. It's probably easiest to start with the pinky mice. Also, if you decide to feed it often, it wouldn't be a bad idea to sprinkle a little taurine on the mice. Meat tends to lose taurine when frozen and that is essential for cats.
[notify]