GO!

Whole Prey - Newbie!

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Kira

They\\\'re all- watching me...

Purred: Sat Mar 26, '11 7:51pm PST 
So, I'm in the process of transferring Mocha and Kira over to raw and when I was at the pet store today getting some more of those Fancy Feast Appetizers for Mocha I figured I'd pick up some frozen feeder mice and small rats. My thought was that if the cats didn't like them, then the dog would eat them.

So, I thawed out a mouse and offered it to the girls. Mocha was interested, and started to chatter, but didn't really know what to do with it. Then Kira walks over and gives it a good shake and then proceeds to eat dinner.

I was dumbfounded. Kira is one of the most schizophrenic and dependent cats I have ever known. I swear that she became some other cat when it came to 'killing' her dinner.

So here's my question: She was doing great and ate the mouse from the head down (fur and all) but when she got to the intestines she lost interest. She left a lone for a minute or so and then ate a bit of the tail and then walked away. She's still acting like she's hungry but seems turned off by the smell of the intestines.

When I get whole prey for my dog I usually either remove the intestines myself or the dog just eats around them. Do cats do the same thing? Would there be any harm in removing the intestines for her to encourage her in this early stage?

Also, I may be able to get ahold of some young (fairly freshly hatched) chicks. Is it recommended to remove the feathers or just leave them on?

What else should I expect with Kira? Are cats capable of digesting the fur? I know with the dog, when I don't skin the whole prey, she tends to hack of hairballs.
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Masters of The- Multiverse

Purred: Sat Mar 26, '11 7:59pm PST 
Aw thaTs so cool!

I would assume there's nothing in the intestines but the stuff that mice eat and that's not really attractive to the cat. Cats need the organs, muscle meat and bone to stay healthy. I honestly wish I could find frozen feeder mice I'm starting to think this is the only way I'll get organs into my cats.

I think the fur is good for them, I've seen places sell ground up animal carcasses online with fur. Not sure though, still a newbcake myself.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sun Mar 27, '11 11:12am PST 
I think it's ok if she doesn't eat the intestines but she needs to eat the organs. Are they large enough in mice that you can tell if she got them?
[notify]

Kira

Purred: Sun Mar 27, '11 12:24pm PST 
The only thing she left was the liver and the intestines. The only excreting organs that I can tell she ate were the brain and testicles. Also, the Rad Cat that I'm using has all organs in the grind. Granted, neither of them is getting strait raw at this point (still transferring), but she is getting SOMETHING.

Only thing is, though, she just doesn't understand that the other stuff I'm offering her is food. She understands that the mouse is food, but not the grind, or even the chunked meat I've offered. I've read about some cats who just don't 'get' that stuff other than whole prey is food, but the feeder mice/rats are so expensive here! I've looked into ordering from places like Hare Today and other online retailers, but because I live in Nevada the shipping is insane frown
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Mon Mar 28, '11 3:53am PST 
Hi Kira and Mocha's mom! I personally wouldn't worry about how much of the mouse she/they eat until you've fed them a few times. Even barn cats sometimes leave bits of their prey lying around; i.e, next time she might eat more or less of it. Oh, and of course it's ok if they eat the hair and fur of their "prey", just like barn, feral, and wild cats do around the world! big grin

I've 1 cat that eats whole prey, Chaucer. So far I've only fed him quail chicks, which he loves very much, feathers and all. Sometimes he leaves a wing or two behind, sometimes he leaves feet, sometimes he leaves some mix of the two. Unfortunately, the other two cats wont' touch the quail. I've got to get some small feeder mice to try with him.

I'm sorry that I can't remember everything that you've previously posted, but I suppose you've mixed the meat chunks into Kira's canned food to see if that gets her to eat them? Has she eaten anything raw other than the mouse; does she eat the rad cat? It would be preferable to get her to eat a variety of things in case she decides one day that she is bored of her food. Try cutting the chunks into a variety of sizes or you could try a "smellier" meat like lamb or lamb heart.

Purrs,
Shade

Edited by author Mon Mar 28, '11 4:00am PST

[notify]

Kira

Purred: Mon Mar 28, '11 3:12pm PST 
I gave her another mouse yesterday and she ate everything except for the intestines and part of the liver. So not much left behind that time.

She does eat the Rad Cat at about a 50/50 mix right now w/out issue and I think we're on day 3? Maybe day 4. I've tried mixing chunked chicken into her wet food, but she just licks the food off of the chicken and leaves it behind. I think I'm going to reintroduce chunked meat once they're on the ground raw 100%. It'll be a more familiar smell at that point.

Mocha is proving to be a lot more difficult. I got her to lick the mouse yesterday which is a lot of progress for her, and her mix on her Rad Cat is about 50/50 as well. However, she'll only eat it if she's REALLY hungry. I switched her over ground Turkey this morning and she seemed a little more into that than the Chicken. So, here's hoping! I will know if we're getting somewhere if she eats both breakfast and lunch. For the last couple of days she's been down to one meal a day since she's been refusing breakfast. But, she ate breakfast this morning so I'll offer her what remains tonight and we'll see how far we get!
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Tue Mar 29, '11 4:10am PST 
As much as people say that chicken is a great meat to start the raw diet with, there are just some cats that aren't very fond of it, like mine. They used to be ok with the thigh meat and hate the white meat. Then they hated all chicken (except for gizzards) for a long time. Now they'll eat the white meat and refuse the thigh meat. However, turkey, beef, lamb, and bison are real favorites here. Mmoral of the story, try all possible protein sources and spend maximum money!shock laugh out loud
[notify]

Kira

Purred: Wed Mar 30, '11 1:08pm PST 
Yeah... the chicken just wasn't doing it for them. The turkey was a reasonable hit and I'm hoping that the lamb they'll be starting today will be enjoyed as well!
[notify]