GO!

She ate some raw!!!

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Mocha

Purred: Fri Mar 25, '11 8:31pm PST 
Well, I had to trick her, but I got some raw into Mocha tonight! I bought some Rad Cat Raw, all three flavors, and offered her some. On its own, she didn't want anything to do with it, so I cheated and added a fair amount to one of those really crappy Appetizer wet foods that's put out by Fancy Feast (she's sorta okay with wet food, but she LOVES the appetizers) and she started chowing down. I mean, seriously dug into it once she got a few bites in. She likes those, but she's never really been THAT into them.

So, we'll do the same thing tomorrow for breakfast and dinner and just increase the raw to appetizer ratio each time.

Once she's on the premade raw full time, then I'm going to look into transferring her over to frankenprey if she'll go. If she won't then I'll look into getting a grinder than can handle the bone (they're just so expensive!).

Question: On the prey model raw, how to feeder mice/rats and chicks fit into the diet? Are they balanced enough for them to eat on a regular basis in addition to the other meats that would be offered? They wouldn't be the sole source of food, but would be fed often since I can get ahold of them easily.
[notify]

Mo

Save Plants - Let Me Eat- Meat!!!

Purred: Fri Mar 25, '11 10:54pm PST 
cheercheercheercheerThat's great!!!cheercheercheercheercheer

Mice and chicks are already balanced just how they are. They are what prey model (or frankenprey) raw is based on.
[notify]

Mocha

Purred: Fri Mar 25, '11 11:50pm PST 
Awesome, wasn't sure as whole chicken for dogs is quite bone heavy and can cause some... errr... plumbing issues smile
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sat Mar 26, '11 5:32am PST 
Whatever works to get them to at least try raw way to go Human had to use freeze dried raw to get Emma to try frozen raw.
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Sat Mar 26, '11 5:34am PST 
Congrats Mocha!

A whole chicken from the grocery store is missing all of it's organs, etc. and that unbalances it and increases the bone percentage (I assume that you're not taking about entire, large feeder chickens?). Additionally, commercially bred chickens, as opposed to wild or free roaming chickens, are bred for heavy meat content. To carry the weight of all that muscle around, I bet these chickens have larger bones.

Feeder chicks, mice, quail, etc. still contain all of their parts and small animals of that size are the natural prey of small cats.

Also, I don't know where you live, but if you end up having to go with ground raw, you can check out hare-today.com. They are located in PA and sell ground meat/bone/organ mixes. Shipping can be expensive if you live too far away however.

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

Mocha

Purred: Sun Mar 27, '11 10:41pm PST 
Yeah... I'm in NV and unfortunately, the shipping from ANY of the online places is insane! When I was looking into getting some stuff for my dog, the minimum on the shipping was almost $80. I'm hoping to do frankenprey with these guys with some whole prey mixed in when I can get it. We'll see, though!
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Mon Mar 28, '11 5:42am PST 
Isn't there a "west coast version" of H-T? I can't remember the name but Dr. Pierson mentions them on catinfo.org.
[notify]

Mocha

Purred: Mon Mar 28, '11 3:13pm PST 
I'll have to take a look and see. Thanks!
[notify]