GO!

Raw food? Recipies? Concerns?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Mordecai- Sabestain

I\'m a tough guy- - shh no I am not

Purred: Sun Mar 6, '11 8:46pm PST 
I've been thinking of about the raw food diet for my kitties. I must say I have a fair share of concerns. I know there was one person that said it was fine. But I always like to do my research. My concerns are as fallows:

1. Them getting sick off the raw food, diseases and what not.
2. Their teeth, would they stay healthy? I've always been told hard food helps keep them clean/healthy. Is that true?
3. I am afraid of them choking on the bones.

Any input on those?

If you believe that raw food diet is good and not really anything to worry about, do you have any good recipes?

Any other information on raw food diet?
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Mon Mar 7, '11 3:44am PST 
Hi there! I don't have a lot of time right this second, but check out rawfedcats.org, catinfo.org, and catnutrition.org.

I feed my cats mostly raw meaty bones and chunks of meat and ocassionally some ground raw. The raw diet is perfect for cats because they are obligate carnivores which means that all of their nutritional requirements are met with meat/bones/organs. They have no requirement for grains or vegetables. Also, if you feed a raw diet you know exactly what they are eating and you don't have to worry about what some company is putting in the food.

I can't tell you that there is absolutely no chance of bacterial contamination in raw food, but properly handled meat should pose no problem. Cat's digestive systems are very acidic and short and are therefore are a very inhospitable environment for bacteria.

Bones and gizzards are perfect for cleaning cat's teeth. Kibble does not clean cat's teeth despite what veterinarians might say.

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Mon Mar 7, '11 7:19am PST 
Please read up about a raw food diet so you can make an informed decision. Shade gave you some excellent answers and websites to start with and I also wrote an article on Alex's website of basics that might help: http://www.ibdkitties.net/rawinstructions.html
[notify]

Mo

Save Plants - Let Me Eat- Meat!!!

Purred: Mon Mar 7, '11 12:58pm PST 
I answered your questions on a differant thread you started re: bacteria, teeth, recipes. click here
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Masters of The- Multiverse

Purred: Mon Mar 7, '11 6:52pm PST 
You're more likely to get sick than your cats. They have short digestive times, like half of what ours are. As of now I chunk chicken and beef and mix it with Alnutrin. I'm slacking on my rmb's because I have picky kittens and I'm not getting into a showdown with some snubby kittens tbh (to be honest) so I supplement with eggshell calcium which isn't ideal but itll do. They do get the occasional bone. The bones, to start off getting my boys to eat them I would crush small chicken backs and ribs from breasts with a mallet especially to expose marrow which I have my theories - makes cats go wild LITERALLY. This crushing thing reduced the chances of the chokies but ultimately Teller my bone fiend followed his brother and just became a snubbed of all things too complicated. Whatevs. We will try again.
Keep in mind with the "you're more likely to get sick" thing. The carcass has to contain the bacteria first. The grocery stores, the butchers all of this goes through extensive testing before it's released into the mainstream market because it's meant for human consumption. Cat food was never meant for our consumption, the recalls there are late to the table usually and you're going to see a sick cat or human before an alert comes your way. If you do the normal clean up routine like you do for your own food, you and your kitty and even your kids if ya got em will be superfly.

Argh I gotta go buy liver!!! I forgot! Asdf I can't drive anywhere it's carnival here

Edited by author Mon Mar 7, '11 6:56pm PST

[notify]

Mordecai- Sabestain

I\'m a tough guy- - shh no I am not

Purred: Tue Mar 8, '11 8:35pm PST 
People have said basically "if it's handled right" but how does on know if it's been handled right when it's coming from some farm, to a butcher, to the store??? How is "proper" handling for at home as well?
[notify]

Mo

Save Plants - Let Me Eat- Meat!!!

Purred: Tue Mar 8, '11 9:09pm PST 
Meat that is sold for human consumption is "handled right". It has to be, they wouldn't let people buy meat that had something wrong with it, cause they'd get in huge trouble.

How to handle the meat at home:

-Keep it refrigerated
-If it starts to smell off, throw it, but most cats won't eat meat that has gone bad anyway
-Use your common sense - lets say you drop some meat on a dirty surface...just don't use that meat then.
-Cut the meat with a clean knife or scissors.
-Freeze the meals right after you cut the meat up - don't leave them sitting around
-If you thaw the meat on the counter, but it in the fridge when it is still not quite thawed, you don't want the meat to get all warm and possibly grow bacteria
-try to buy the freshest cuts of meat from the grocery store. All packs of meat should say when they were packaged, as well as a date that it goes bad if left refridgerated instead of frozen.
-don't buy ground meat from a grocery store that is in the case. If you do want ground meat from a store, pick a steak/roast or something and ask them to grind it for you while you wait. They should do it for free and then you know that it is fresh and hasn't had the chance to be exposed to air/given chance to get bacteria.
[notify]