GO!

Taurine ?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Coco

I'm cute and- know it.

Purred: Thu Mar 3, '11 12:08pm PST 
I know taurine degrades when exposed to air. So if you use ground meat but then use a mix that adds taurine and freeze it, do you need to worry about the taurine degrading when you thaw it out to feed? Would you need to add additional taurine before feeding or should there be enough in the diet?
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Masters of The- Multiverse

Purred: Thu Mar 3, '11 12:17pm PST 
Catnutrition.org says add extra before you freeze to account for that
[notify]

Coco

I'm cute and- know it.

Purred: Thu Mar 3, '11 2:04pm PST 
But the recipe on CatInfo.org doesn't have taurine supplement being added before freezing already. (unless its in the Immoplex) The meat should have taurine and the premix also adds taurine. I need to add more taurine before feeding too? I'm not using the recipe on CatInfo.org; I'm doing a supplement premix and ground meat.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Thu Mar 3, '11 4:43pm PST 
If you're not sure, add more. They can't overdose on taurine!
[notify]

Caesar

Purred: Mon Mar 7, '11 11:15am PST 
Add extra Taurine AFTER you thaw it, just prior to feeding it.

I have a kit that tried to sneak a lick at my coffee and wound up with whipped cream on her shiny black nose. Now she is cross-eyed trying to get it off. big grin
[notify]