GO!

Raw and Canned Food Diet

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Merlotte

The Demon Cat

Purred: Fri Feb 25, '11 7:52am PST 
I have 3 cats; Shmi (2.5 years), Dex (21mos) and Merle (10mos). I fed Merle and Shmi a mixture of Can and Dry food, but when I brought Dexter home his foster mom encouraged a Raw/Can diet explaining that Dry food is the biggest problem with Cats health issues. i immediately cut out the dry food and began researching. I now feed them canned food 3/4's of the time and raw or deli meet the rest of the time. Eventually I would like to switch completely to Raw food, but I wanted know who else does Raw. What are you feeding your cat? How are you affording it? How is your cat reacting (health-wise)? Etc...I've read all the articles of people who obviously have all the time in the world and an endless supply of money, but what about us normal recession folks who want to see our cats thrive. Any feedback would be simply wonderful.

Thank you
[notify]

SnowFlake

The Evil One

Purred: Fri Feb 25, '11 8:31am PST 
Feeding raw is cheap here. Meat prices are really good depending on what you get. Thats one of the reasons I fed raw and also because of teeth. Snowflake has pearly whites already and she has been on raw for 6 months or maybe more. Other then that I dont notice a difference between her and the 3 other cats I have on kibble/canned diet. She gets lots of assortment. Pork, beef, chicken, turkey, duck, rabbit, mice, lamb(only once in a blue moon as this is expensive!), cow, toungue, pork, ears and noses, goat, I get fish sometimes but thats expensive and she doesnt really seem to like fish anyways, etc.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Fri Feb 25, '11 9:23am PST 
Human's kittens eat raw smile They eat the Nature's Variety frozen raw. They do get a little canned food for snacks. And they also get a little TThe Honest Kitchen Prowl, which is dehydrated raw food in a powder form and you just mix it with water and let sit for 5 minutes before feeding.

Nature's Variety often has coupons for their food smile Right now there is a coupon for a free trial sized bag with any store purchase of $5 or more.

There is also a coupon for $2 off any Nature's Variety frozen diet but it expires very soon, on Feb. 28 2011.

Human stocks up on food when she gets Nature's Variety coupons and if she has space in the freezer smile

Making your own raw food using a recipe is a much cheaper way of feeding your cats if you are interested in doing that smile You can buy raw meat in bulk at the supermarket or at BJs or Costco. Catinfo.org has a good recipe to use smile

You can also use a pre-mix with raw meats of your choice. TC Feline is one brand of pre-mix.

Both kittens are doing very well on raw smile Leroy was weaned onto raw. Emma is from a rescue so she only knew dry food as food. Human slowly got her off the dry food and onto raw way to go Emma's fur went from dry and sticky to healthy and glossy big grin
[notify]

Merlotte

The Demon Cat

Purred: Fri Feb 25, '11 12:50pm PST 
Ok, my second question. I've heard mixed reviews on the Grinding. Some of these top rated sites say NO GRINDING! It removes a lot of the taurine, while others say grind baby, grind. Who do I believe?
[notify]

SnowFlake

The Evil One

Purred: Fri Feb 25, '11 1:00pm PST 
You can add a taurine supplement if you choose to grind. I dont like that idea though because its more natural to give them the raw meat and let them have at it and its really good for their teeth and gums to. As I type this Snowflake is happily knawing away on a big piece of duck ribs.
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Fri Feb 25, '11 2:14pm PST 
Hi there. Shade and Smudge have been eating raw for almost 2 1/2 years now, although they do get grain free canned for breakfast on most days because DH feeds them breakfast.

I feed them mostly chunks of meat/organ and rmb's (raw meaty bones), but they ocassionally get ground raw from hare-today.com. I buy my meat at the grocery store, usually a "higher end" one, but I get meat at Shop N Stop too. For bones they get chicken necks, game hen quarters, and rabbit. You can also use chicken wings, drumsticks, and bone-in thighs, but my crew won't eat any of those. For muscle meat they get turkey, beef, lamb, some chicken breast, gizzards, and lots of heart (duck, beef, lamb). I use various animal livers and either beef or lamb kidneys for the organ. One of my cats eats whole prey quail.

As for cost, feeding raw is actually cheaper than feeding grain free canned, maybe not than feeding Friskies though. Things like heart and chicken necks are really cheap. Gizzards, chicken thighs, and organs are also not very expensive. I buy the cheaper cuts of steak like chuck. The lamb and turkey breast are expensive, but it's not necessary to feed these. Grocery stores also have sales, so you can check out what's going on in your neighborhood.

There are many benefits to feeding a raw diet. A great practical one is smaller and less smelly poop in the liter box because a greater percentage of the food is actually absorbed through the digestive tract rather than eliminated as waste (as is the case with the many cat foods than contain grains and vegetables). Raw is a high water content food and many cats suffer from chronic dehydration. Many cats have allergies to certain foods or components of commercial food. With a raw food diet you know exactly what your cat is eating.

Lastly, the thing with ground raw and taurine. Taurine degrades upon exposure to air, so when meat is ground and NOT frozen quickly in airtight containers, the taurine starts to go. This can be remedied by adding taurine back to the meat before serving it. Generally we don't feed ground meat from the grocery store because you don't really know how long it's been sitting around and along with degredation of taurine, there can also be an increase in bacteria in this meat.

I'm not sure if I've addressed all of your questions, but please feel free to ask more.

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

Merlotte

The Demon Cat

Purred: Sat Feb 26, '11 7:32am PST 
WOW! Thank you Shades, no this info is great. So far Merle and Dex have been eating some raw chicken breast, Dex ate some bone and Merle tried, but could quite figure it out, Some raw roast beef, chicken liver (Merle is not very interested, but Dex will eat anything I put in front of him) and I have been putting egg yolks as a gravy on the meat. I agree about the price when we went shopping last night we found great sales (got a while chicken for 4 dollars and some tyson chicken liver for 1.25 and 5 pounds of steak for 5 dollars) all in all it made enough meals for 16 days and we only spent about 11 dollars. So as long as I don't grind Taurine supplements aren't necessary?

Now my oldest cat (she's 2.5) won't eat it. She sniffs it and looks at it like I'm crazy. She won't give up the can. Any suggestions?
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sat Feb 26, '11 9:11am PST 
Sometimes the cats will tell YOU whether or not you should grind. Although I used supplemented ground when I first started, BK made it very clear that he preferred RMB's while Teddy only wanted ground. I wrote a couple articles for Alex's website that explains a lot about how we went about it and why if you're interested:
http://www.ibdkitties.net/Allergiesandraw.html
http://www.ibdkitt ies.net/rawinstructions.html
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Sat Feb 26, '11 10:17am PST 
There are all sorts of tricks for trying to get cats to switch to raw. You can try mixing little slivers of raw meat into her canned food, you can try sprinkling it with parmesan cheese or freeze dried meat cat treats, you could try giving her ground or finely minced meat. In addiation to the site that BK mentioned, you can also go to catinfo.org and read the section there on converting cats.

Good luck!

Shade
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Masters of The- Multiverse

Purred: Sat Feb 26, '11 4:36pm PST 
I havE to put Parmesan on Tellers beef, otherwise he won't eat it. Whereas, if I put it on Penns he thinks Ive ruined it!
Neither really like ground up meats, they taste funny I guess. But if you're feeding a bunch of cats that's probably best? Easiest to follow
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2