GO!

Course ground meat and Alnutrin info

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Penn & Teller

Masters of The- Multiverse

Purred: Thu Feb 24, '11 9:18am PST 
Hey yall, it's me again the big fat newb. I'm about to order a motherload from Hare Today because honestly this is tuckering me out! I keep going to the store and ripping up carcasses! Anyhoo I was wondering should I get coarse ground meat instead of regular ground meat? I've found my boys not to like ground meat as much as chunked anyway. I figured they may like the coarse ground meat.

Also, can you buy Alnutrin somewhere? I'm going to get some to keep on hand in case. Is it better to get the limestone calcium or the eggshell calcium?

Edited by author Thu Feb 24, '11 10:50am PST

[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Fri Feb 25, '11 4:47am PST 
Hi again newb kitties! big grin

To be totally honest the few times I've ordered the coarse ground instead of the regular ground I haven't been able to tell the difference just by looking at it. I was expecting something like tiny chunks or shreds, but that wasn't what it was. It also turns out that the boys won't eat the coarse ground, that happened with both the rabbit and the turkey and I've no idea why. shrug

So, whatcha ordering??

Purrs,
Shade

Oh, I've never used the Alnutrin, so I can't comment on that part of your question.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Fri Feb 25, '11 9:25am PST 
I think you can only buy Alnutrin from their direct web site thinking http://www.knowwhatyoufeed.com/alnutrin_supplements.html You can contact the company and ask if their product is sold in stores.
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Purred: Fri Feb 25, '11 11:49am PST 
I was going to order a bunch of turkey, duck, rabbit chunks, beef organs ground up, quails eggs buti got to the shipping prices and my eyes fell out of my head.
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Fri Feb 25, '11 2:24pm PST 
It's not cheap to ship raw meat, or anything that has to be kept frozen, that's for sure. Too bad, they've got good quality stuff.

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sat Feb 26, '11 9:01am PST 
My impression was that the coarse ground was more for dogs - I thought the bone chunks were bigger. But I could be wrong. And the Alnutrin has to be ordered online, but the people there couldn't be nicer. As far as shipping, if you're within a 2 day point of PA (where H-T is) you can ship ground and it's fine. That brings the shipping costs way down.
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Purred: Sun Feb 27, '11 1:18pm PST 
I ordered the Alnutrin with Eggshell Calcium for now while they are getting the hang of stuff.
H-T quoted me $30 for shipping. That's just kind of overkill. It's like I felt I had found this incredible deal and I get to the last page and argh, shot in the belly. I'll have to keep on ripping up animal carcasses like a woodsman! laugh out loud
[notify]

BK

Purred: Sun Feb 27, '11 3:48pm PST 
Is N.O. a 3 day point? If you have freezer space the thing to do is to place a big order so that shipping per pound is cheaper maybe? For us, even with the shipping (ground) at about $20 it's still cheaper than buying organic meat.
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Purred: Sun Feb 27, '11 4:36pm PST 
I think so. I know I can drive to Philly in 18 hours but I've never tried Western PA and a delivery truck? Hah I dunno... But I do know that HT had the best deals ever and I was so sad! But on the plus side hubby found some frozen rabbit locally.
On another topic, Teller no longer eats cat food. Refuses it entirely. I think we have reached the point of no return shock
[notify]

BK

Purred: Tue Mar 1, '11 5:59am PST 
Send an email to Tracy at H-T and she'll tell you if you're within a 2 day (ground) point. She's very nice and extremely helpful.
[notify]