GO!

Critique this diet

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sat Feb 19, '11 6:42pm PST 
So Leroy is eating Nature's Variety raw beef (1 for breakfast, 3 to 4... or more for dinner shock) and a spoonful of Nature's Variety canned for a midday snack. Sometimes he'll snack on dry Prowl per the suggestion of the breeder.

Emma is also eating Nature's Variety raw but only the chicken (1 for breakfast and 1 for dinner... and ony with a little crumbled freeze dried chicken on top shrug ), and a spoonful of Nature's Variety canned for a miidday snack. She also likes dry Prowl. Maybe too much. She can eat all the dry Prowl (a few spoonfuls) at once and leave nothing for Leroy to snack on later shock

Human gave both of them rehydrated Prowl (used 1.5 spoonfuls of the dry powder) to go alongside their meals today and both liked slurping up the soupy mix.

Are the kittens getting a good diet? thinking It's like 98% frozen raw, 1% canned (only for snacks when Human isn't home), and 1% Prowl (either dry or rehydrated).

The Prowl contains 14% carbs per calorie. Is that too much? thinking Human is still in "low carb mode" (under 10% carbs per calorie) because I was diabetic. 10% to 17% is medium carb. Since Leroy and Emma aren't eating Prowl exclusively, it's ok to feed it to them right? thinking Human doesn't want them to get diabetes or other health issues when they get older.

Both are very active so they're burnng off any extra calories and fat smile
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Masters of The- Multiverse

Purred: Sat Feb 19, '11 9:39pm PST 
I look for extra fatty chicken and nicely marbled beef for the boys since they are kittens. Just gonna inject that in there!
I think kittens need lots of fat? I think that's what makes kitten food "kitten food" if I'm wrong I'm screwed
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Sat Feb 19, '11 11:02pm PST 
Have you read " Your cat" by Elizabeth Hodgkins? I think that she refers to this Prowl dehydrated food, not naming it of course, but I think its the only one on the market. She says that it does not contain alot of protein, which if you do the calculations it really doesnt, plus this prowl says that is grain free, yet it has flaxseed in it, which alot of cats have problems with. Ingredients are as follows:

Free-range chicken, eggs, potatoes, yams, organic flaxseed, zucchini, spinach, cranberries, rosemary, tricalcium phosphate, choline chloride, zinc amino acid chelate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, potassium iodide, potassium chloride, iron amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate.

Im sure its fine as long as its not a stand alone diet. I would mix it in with their Raw. Though when you look at the ingredients for the Natures Variety Raw there are alot of fruits and vegies in that too, which can cause problems too. Have you thought about another kind of premade raw that does not contain the fruits and vegies, and potato?

Just my little critiquekitty
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Sun Feb 20, '11 5:28am PST 
I agree with P&T that kittens require extra fat in their diet. It's required for proper neurological development and it provides extra calories for growth, just as for human babies.

I think that the diet that you are providing is ok, but I too wouldn't feed the Prowl. I don't understand what the point of your feeding it is; because the breeder recommended it? The kittens should get enough food from the raw and the canned that you are feeding w/o having to add in the dry Prowl.

I have also heard in the past the the NV medallions had a very high bone content which tends to cause cats to be constipated. I don't know if they've changed the formula since then, but I would keep an eye on the litter box. If the bone content is high, it would be great to add chunks of meat to their diet to balance things out.

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Feb 20, '11 6:09am PST 
We meant that the kittens are so active that they won't get obese from extra fat being stored in the body. It's probably more of an issue with inactive older cats.

Both like Prowl, either dry or rehydated. It's more of a snack for them than a meal. I guess we could mix it with the raw nuggets thinking Emma might not like it but Leroy would probably slurp it all down.

Leroy used to like Primal Pet but he won't eat it now shrug Emma won't touch it at all. Leroy doesn't like Stella and Chewy's frozen raw (but likes the freeze dried) and Emma will only sometimes eat it shrug

Neither have constipation from eating the Nature's Variety.

Many commercial raw foods contain fruits and veggies, which we agree a cat doesn't need. Fruit and veggies usually make up only a small part of the food. What do you think of Feline Pride raw? It's the only one we know of that does not contain fruits and veggies. Can you only buy it through their web site? Or can a store specially order it for you? We prefer to just pick it up at a store than to pay for shipping/handling which can be costly.

Edited by author Sun Feb 20, '11 6:24am PST

[notify]

Penn & Teller

Purred: Sun Feb 20, '11 7:53am PST 
I bet a good local Mom n Pop feed store would order it for you. A lot of those places are hurting for any kind of business they can get. Try it out
[notify]

Lacey

Backflips are my- specialty!

Purred: Sun Feb 20, '11 9:36am PST 
Just for reference: This is what I learned from several vets and vet schools on flaxseed:

Flaxseed Oil, although not toxic, is not able to be converted in a cat's system: Flaxseed oil is of limited nutritional value to cats. There are two essential fatty acids for cats, linoleic and arachidonic (both are Omega 6 fatty acids). These fatty acids are essential in the sense that a cat cannot produce them within the
body, so must obtain them through diet. Flax seed oil contains around 13% linoleic acid but no arachidonic acid. Cats do not have the pathways to convert linoleic acid into arachidonic acid, so another source of arachidonic acid is necessary. Cats can only obtain arachidonic acid from animal products, so if you want to give your cat an essential fatty acids oil, consider a fish-based oil instead.

It won't do any harm but vets are learning it's pretty useless in terms of nutritional value to cats. big grin
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Purred: Sun Feb 20, '11 10:09am PST 
Why do they put that stuff in pre made raw diets and then charge your eyeballs out for it? Shouldn't there be some regulation?
Isn't that same reason (grains, veggie fillers, etc) why the obligate-carnivore raw diets were established? I mean it seems counter productive and well... infuriating to be honest.
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Sun Feb 20, '11 2:24pm PST 
Ive heard Felines pride is good hopefully a smaller pet store could order it in for you. Here is another link to a good raw food called Urban carnivore click here

Edited by author Sun Feb 20, '11 2:24pm PST

[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Feb 20, '11 6:08pm PST 
How about Rad Cat raw? http://www.radfood.com/products That doesn't have any fruits and veggies in it either. And one store Human goes to sells the food smile Maybe the other closer store can sell it, too.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2