GO!

Aggression and other stuff

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Penn & Teller

Masters of The- Multiverse

Purred: Wed Feb 16, '11 8:24am PST 
Well today was a new adventure in Rawland. I introduced chicken wings which I guess have harder bones to tear up? Teller who is the sweetest most docile playful kitten and has never hissed or growled ever got a piece of particularly fatty delicious wing...
well..
He dragged it around my kitchen to tear it up, his brother approached him and that's when the proverbial poop hit the fan. Teller hissed growled spit THE CLAWS CAME OUT and he batted at him! I was like eek I think I awakened my little sweet kitty's fierce panther within. He was protecting his "kill". Was that what he was doing? Should I cut the bones down a bit so he won't drag them around my kitchen/house and flip out on the others? I think this scared Penn so much he did not want to eat. I had to end up mixing in some wet cat food into the raw to get him to eat. confused

I guess what I'm asking is, does this diet really awaken something in the cats?! That was kinda interesting! Should I be upset or something? He's fine now.
[notify]

Dragon Chestnut

I sharpen my- claws on my- owner's teeth

Purred: Wed Feb 16, '11 8:54am PST 
Tellya something about Teller: it's a pea brained feline.

Can't tell the difference between a chicken wing and a real,live chicken!? I chase chickens every day near my farm yard. There's a small coop that I can sneak into at night. As the chickens lay resting I pick at their feathers and scare the living eggs out of them - which I then collect, kindly, for my owners.

As to "protecting my kill", if a cat so much as glances at me when i'm chock-full of chicken, I carefully divide my prized goods into equal portioning. What can I say, I guess my OWNERS taught me well...
shrugshrugshrugshrug
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Purred: Wed Feb 16, '11 9:21am PST 
bet my cat could beat up your cat and your cats chickens
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Wed Feb 16, '11 12:56pm PST 
Penn and Teller, I amm suspicious of this Dragon Chestnut, but I love your response!! Smudge (17lbs) will help you guys out! laugh out loud

Anyhoo, yes, getting something that is so exciting to eat and at least somewhat resembling a real piece of prey does bring out the panther (or couger, or tiger, or lion) in house cats sometimes. When my year old, Chaucer, 1st got introduced to raw he used to growl all the time when he was eating. He stopped doing it for a while, but he was growling away just now while eating his quail.

Teller will probably get used to it after a while. Maybe try feeding them on different sides of the kitchen so they don't think that the other is going to steal their lovely feast.

Purrs,
Shade

Edited by author Wed Feb 16, '11 1:02pm PST

[notify]

Penn & Teller

Purred: Wed Feb 16, '11 1:16pm PST 
Dragon's getting treats and rainbow presents from us as we speak... Nonstop.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Wed Feb 16, '11 4:42pm PST 
P&T, this is so common and I always find it so amusing. I don't feed my fosters raw, but when I have kittens they get so excited when they smell BK's dinner I usually give them some. The sounds they make when they're eating is hysterical. And they get VERY protective of their raw food! It's perfectly normal - just make sure you have plenty for both!
[notify]

Patch

Patch - wallpaper- stripper

Purred: Thu Feb 17, '11 12:33pm PST 
I gave Patch a f/t mouse, he licked it for ages but didn't growl or anything, then he ate it and never spilt a drop lol.
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Sun Feb 20, '11 2:39am PST 
Full-time mouse? Better than part-time, I suppose. (I had to look up f/t to find out what it really means.)

Hate to burst everyone's bubble, but my former moggy brother/sister duo LOVED Kentucky Fried Chicken (but only with the skin removed). They got it twice a year, on Christmas and on their birthday. They would grab their chicken part and retreat into separate corners, growling and snarling at anyone or anycat who came near enough to snatch away their delicious treat. I think that this aggressive response has less to do with raw than with "Delicious! And it's MINE! All mine!" Which leads to the conclusion that cats acting like this when they eat raw are really enjoying it. (But they may also enjoy KFC.)

This is OT, but it occurred to me that a raw diet for cats is a lot like the Atkins diet for humans. I guess we humans have to worry about things like salmonella, but humans do eat raw fish (Japan), raw beef, raw horse meat (Japan and elsewhere), and occasionally raw chicken (Japan). Certainly our cavepeople ancestors must have eaten raw meat before they discovered fire. And don't people eat raw chickens in voodoo rites? Hmm...but I think I'll leave the f/t mice to the cats and snakes, thank you very much.
eek
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Sun Feb 20, '11 5:10am PST 
Harvey, of course they are enjoying it! But when's the last time you saw a cat dragging a kibble off to the corner growling and snarling to keep everyone else away??laugh out loud

Pardon me, while I go drag my morning cup of Joe off to the sunny window. I'm growling to keep the kids away!big grin

Have a good day!

Shade's mom
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Sun Feb 20, '11 9:14am PST 
Only Harvey and Chibi, but it's a prestige thing. I doubt that they like kibble that much, but they MUST be the first to get at it, and the other cats get growls and swats to keep away until the King and Queen have dined.

I'd love to see cats grab a mouthful of kibble and run into the corner and eat it, defending it against any possible kibble thieves...MOL.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2